This California roll recipe was created to provide a vegan option using hearts of palm and a California Avocado wasabi drizzle made with vegan mayonnaise.
Vegan California Roll with Avocado Wasabi
Total Time: 30 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 229 mcg; Vitamin C 39 mg; Calcium 133 mg; Iron 4 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 321 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.19 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 25%; Vitamin C 45%; Calcium 10%; Iron 20%; Vitamin D 0%
IngredientsVegan California Roll Ingredients: 1/2 cup short-grain rice 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar 1 can (14-oz. each) hearts of palm, drained 1 Tbsp. vegan mayonnaise 1/2 tsp. low-sodium Old Bay® seasoning 3 1/4 sheets nori 3/4 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and sliced 1/2 cucumber, sliced into thin matchsticks 1/2 tsp. water, divided 1/2 cup Avocado Wasabi Sauce (see make-ahead recipe below) Avocado Wasabi Sauce: 1/2 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded and peeled 1/4 cup water, plus more as needed 1/2 tsp. wasabi powder, to taste 1/4 tsp. garlic powder 1/8 tsp. salt, to taste 1/8 tsp. pepper, to taste
Vegan California Roll Instructions:
- Cook rice according to package directions. When done, add rice vinegar. Stir and set aside.
- To make the “crab” mix, use a knife to slice the hearts of palm into small, thin pieces, similar in texture to lump crab meat, then add to a medium bowl. Stir in mayonnaise and Old Bay seasoning. Crumble ¼ sheet nori into the bowl and stir once more.
- Place a sheet of nori onto a sushi mat or parchment paper. Spread out rice into an even layer. In a horizontal line towards one end of the nori sheet, place a few spoonfuls of “crab” mix, sliced cucumbers and sliced avocado.
- Roll the sushi tightly, adding a bit of water with your finger at the end to help the nori stick to itself and close the roll. Slice into 8-10 pieces.
- Drizzle with avocado wasabi sauce and serve.
Avocado Wasabi Sauce Instructions:
- In a blender, add all ingredients and blend.
- Add more water as needed to blend to desired consistency.
- Set aside.
Serving Suggestion: Serve as-is for a delicious, light meal.
Beverage Pairing: Pair with your favorite crisp, white wine or sake.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados