Upgrade your Taco Tuesday with this fun vegan taco twist using an air fryer. These Air Fryer Walnut Crusted California Avocado Tacos with Roasted Veggie Slaw are not only an excellent source of fiber (29% DV) and folate (35% DV), but they are also a good source of protein (18% DV) and iron (10% DV), making them a wonderful addition to a plant-based diet. Plus, they come together in under 15 minutes, perfect for those days you want something delicious and nutritious on the table fast.
Air Fryer Walnut Crusted California Avocado Tacos with Roasted Veggie Slaw
Total Time: 15 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 126 mcg; Vitamin C 87 mg; Calcium 36 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 130 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 1.79 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 100%; Calcium 2%; Iron 10 %; Vitamin D 0%
Ingredients2 Tbsp. roasted pepper-infused olive oil 1 medium ear corn 1/2 large portobello mushroom, thinly sliced 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced 1/3 cup crushed salted walnuts 1/2 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and sliced into quarters 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar 1/2 tsp. cane sugar 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion 4 corn tortillas
- Place oil into a large bowl then lightly dip the end of a kitchen brush into the oil and coat the bottom of the air fryer basket. Dip brush in oil again and gently brush the outside of the corn and mushroom and bell pepper slices. Set into the air fryer basket.
- Place crushed walnuts into a shallow dish and carefully toss the avocado slices in the walnuts until lightly coated.
- Gently place the walnut crusted avocado slices into the air fryer basket with the mushrooms and peppers, then set air fryer to 380 degrees for 8 minutes. Close air fryer and let cooking begin.
- Next, to the bowl with the oil, add the vinegar and sugar; whisk together. Add in the green onion and mix. When air fryer completes cooking, add the roasted mushrooms and bell peppers to the vinegar mixture. Mix this roasted veggie slaw and let sit while finishing the dish.
- Carefully use a knife to cut the corn from the cob. The cob may still be hot, so be sure to use a kitchen oven mitt, if necessary, to hold the cob. Fold the corn kernels into the slaw mixture.
- Heat the corn tortillas (if desired) for 30 seconds or so per side in the air fryer at 350 degrees or on the stovetop in a cast iron skillet. Place on a serving dish then evenly divide the roasted veggie slaw amongst the tortillas, followed by 1 walnut-crusted avocado wedge per taco.
- Serve immediately.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with black beans and fresh summer salsa to keep vegan, or cotija cheese over pinto beans for a vegetarian option.
Beverage Pairing: Pair this with sparkling water infused with fresh squeezed lime or a margarita.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados