A delightfully delicious and different appetizer. No worries about the avocados sitting out while your guests mingle; they’ll remain a beautiful, vibrant green due to the unique pickling process!
Pickled-O’Pete Marinated Veggie Kabobs
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|Ingredients for the brine:|
|1 1/2||cups||white balsamic vinegar|
|1 1/2||Tbsp.||kosher salt|
|Ingredients for kabobs:|
|2||firm, ripe, Fresh California Avocados, (quite firm, squeeze the avocado gently in the palm of your hand; you want only the slightest bit of "give")|
|1 1/2||tsp.||dried crushed red pepper|
|4||cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced|
|3||(2-inch) sprigs rosemary|
|1||pt.||grape or cherry tomatoes, stemmed|
|3||very thin slices fresh lemon, halved|
|Extra virgin olive oil, optional|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Combine the vinegar, water, salt and honey in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve salt. Remove from heat.
- In the meantime, divide peppercorns, crushed red pepper and garlic between 3 pint size jars. Cut zucchini in half, lengthwise, then cut halves into ½-inch slices, widthwise. Place zucchini slices into one of the prepared jars and cover with approximately 1/3 of the hot brine. Tuck a rosemary sprig and two half lemon slices into jar. Cover tightly and set aside. Set remainder of brine aside to cool completely.
- To help the brine penetrate the tomatoes, poke a tiny hole at the top and bottom of each tomato with a toothpick. Place tomatoes in one of the prepared jars and cover with another 1/3 of the cooled brine mixture. Tuck a rosemary sprig and two lemon slice halves into jar, then cover tightly and refrigerate.
- Cut avocados in half, lengthwise. Remove seed and peel, keeping halves intact. Cut into 1/2 inch wide slices, widthwise. Place avocado slices into last prepared jar and cover with remaining cooled brine. Tuck last rosemary sprig and lemon slices into jar. Cover jar tightly and refrigerate all three jars for at least 6 hours.
- When ready to serve, drain zucchini, tomatoes and avocado. Cut avocado into bite size pieces and arrange on skewers alternately with tomatoes and zucchini. Drizzle lightly with extra virgin olive oil, if desired.
Tomatoes and zucchini will keep refrigerated for up to a week. Avocados should be used within 2 days.
Serving suggestion: May also be arranged on small skewers for smaller-bite appetizers.
Variation: Try with pickled potatoes also. Cook bite-size pieces from one large potato until just tender, do not over-cook. Drain and pack in a pint size jar. Cover with cooled brine and refrigerate for 6-8 hours.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 274 (IU); Vitamin C 15 mg; Calcium 20 mg; Iron 0.3 mg; Vitamin D 0 (IU); Folate 30 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.03 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 25%; Calcium 0%; Iron 0%