Fresh California Avocado replaces the butter or oil in a traditional cupcake recipe and creates a delicious, light green cupcake. Topped with a simple cream cheese frosting and patriotic cake decorations they are a symbol of the American dream!
American Dream Cupcakes
Total Time: 50 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 179 (IU); Vitamin C 0.6 mg; Calcium 72 mg; Iron 1 mg; Vitamin D 10 (IU); Folate 40 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.03 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 8%; Iron 6%
Ingredients1/2 cup pureed California Avocado 3/4 cup granulated sugar 2 large eggs 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp. salt 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla As needed Cream Cheese Frosting (see recipe below) As needed Patriotic cake decorations Easy Cream Cheese Frosting 4 oz. cream cheese, softened 1 Tbsp. low-fat milk, or more as needed 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tins with foil or non-stick cups.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, combine avocado puree and sugar. Beat until very smooth and even in color.
- Add eggs. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes.
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a small bowl. Gradually blend in flour mixture alternating with buttermilk and vanilla into the batter, starting and ending with the flour mixture.
- Divide batter among the prepared muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes. Cupcakes are done when a toothpick inserted into one of the center cupcakes comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool in the cupcakes tins for 5 minutes, then remove to a rack and cool to room temperature. Frost with Easy Cream Cheese Frosting and decorate with patriotic cake decorations.
Easy Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat softened cream cheese in a medium mixer bowl until light and creamy. There should be no lumps.
- Beat in milk and then about ¾ of the powdered sugar. Taste and add more powdered sugar and/or milk depending on your preference for sweetness and spreadability.
Beverage Pairings: Nice with a glass of iced coffee.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados