Fresh California Avocado replaces the butter or oil in a traditional cupcake recipe and creates a delicious, light green cupcake. Topped with a simple cream cheese frosting and patriotic cake decorations they are a symbol of the American dream!
American Dream Cupcakes
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|1/2||cup||pureed California Avocado|
|1 1/2||cups||all-purpose flour|
|1 1/2||tsp.||baking powder|
|As needed||Cream Cheese Frosting (see recipe below)|
|As needed||Patriotic cake decorations|
|Easy Cream Cheese Frosting|
|4||oz.||cream cheese, softened|
|1||Tbsp.||low-fat milk, or more as needed|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tins with foil or non-stick cups.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, combine avocado puree and sugar. Beat until very smooth and even in color.
- Add eggs. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes.
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a small bowl. Gradually blend in flour mixture alternating with buttermilk and vanilla into the batter, starting and ending with the flour mixture.
- Divide batter among the prepared muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes. Cupcakes are done when a toothpick inserted into one of the center cupcakes comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool in the cupcakes tins for 5 minutes, then remove to a rack and cool to room temperature. Frost with Easy Cream Cheese Frosting and decorate with patriotic cake decorations.
Easy Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat softened cream cheese in a medium mixer bowl until light and creamy. There should be no lumps.
- Beat in milk and then about ¾ of the powdered sugar. Taste and add more powdered sugar and/or milk depending on your preference for sweetness and spreadability.
Beverage Pairings: Nice with a glass of iced coffee.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 179 (IU); Vitamin C 0.6 mg; Calcium 72 mg; Iron 1 mg; Vitamin D 10 (IU); Folate 40 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.03 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 8%; Iron 6%