This is not your average cucumber roll! A sophisticated appetizer, these California Avocado Cucumber Rolls with Crème Fraiche Pesto are both as pleasing to the palate as to the eye.
California Avocado Cucumber Rolls with Crème Fraiche Pesto
Total Time: 15 min
Prep Time: |
Ingredients1 large cucumber, thinly sliced lengthwise into 12 slices 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced into 12 slices 1 large tomato, diced 1 Tbsp. jalapeño, seeded and diced Crème Fraiche Pesto Sauce, see make-ahead recipe below Crème Fraiche Pesto Sauce 1 cup whole raw cashews 1/2 cup coconut cream, refrigerated 1/2 cup fresh basil 3 Tbsp. pine nuts 3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast 1/3 cup lemon juice
- Fold cucumber slices into small rolls and place on its ends. Repeat this step until you create 12 rolls.
- Stuff the cucumber rolls with avocado slices.
- Mix tomato and jalapeño in a bowl and top the avocado and cucumber rolls, like a salsa.
- To serve, top each of the California Avocado Cucumber Rolls with one teaspoon of the Crème Fraiche Pesto Sauce.
Crème Fraiche Pesto Sauce Instructions:
- In a bowl, soak cashews in water for two hours.
- Combine coconut cream, cashews, basil, pine nuts, nutritional yeast and lemon juice in a blender and mix until smooth.
- Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Serving Suggestion: These refreshing cucumber rolls are a unique starter dish in lieu of a more traditional salad. They also make an easy and elegant afternoon snack.
Beverage Pairing: A light bodied rosé (such as Provençal) makes a lovely accompaniment to these California Avocado Cucumber Rolls, as does a fresh squeezed lemonade.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados