Simple summer goodness. The combination of California Avocado, tomato and corn is fresh and wonderfully easy to quickly prepare for a busy family. The total time may seem long but most of that is the chicken marinating in buttermilk while you do other things! The ranch dressing is so straight-forward and versatile; make some extra for a simple chopped salad at a later date. It will keep in the fridge for up to five days.
Fried Chicken Breast salad with Avocado, Corn, Basil & Housemade ranch Dressing
|2 1/2||lb.||boneless chicken breasts|
|1/4||tsp.||ground cayenne pepper|
|2||ears white corn, shucked and cut off cob|
|2||large heirloom tomatoes|
|2||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded and chopped|
|1||Tbsp.||freshly squeezed lime juice|
|Housemade Ranch Dressing|
|1||Tbsp.||freshly squeezed lemon juice|
|1||Tbsp.||minced fresh chives|
|1||Tbsp.||minced fresh parsley|
|1||Tbsp.||minced fresh dill|
|1||clove garlic, peeled and minced|
|1||shallot, peeled and minced|
|1/4||tsp.||freshly ground black pepper|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Cut each chicken breast in two lengthwise and season with half of the salt and the pepper. Put chicken into a zip close bag and then add the buttermilk to the bag. Seal bag and place in the fridge for two hours.
- Chop the tomatoes into a rustic one-inch dice, leaving the core behind for the compost heap. Add the cut corn and the avocados to the tomatoes. Drizzle with the olive oil and then add the lime juice and remaining salt. Toss well and then tear the basil leaves into the salad. Toss again.
- Warm the oil in a deep cast iron skillet to 350 degrees F. In a medium-sized bowl mix together the flour, cayenne and chile powder. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and dredge into the seasoned flour. Remove the chicken once fully coated in flour, shaking off excess and then carefully adding the chicken to the oil. Cook for 5 minutes per side and then remove to a cooling rack with paper towels underneath.
- Place a half of cup on dressing on the bottom of a large platter and spread with the back of a spoon. Scoop the salad onto the dressing. Take each chicken piece and cut into pieces. Arrange the chicken over the salad and serve immediately.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well with a small whisk.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
(Without Dressing): Calories 1050; Total Fat 82 g (Sat 9 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 20 g, Mono 50 g); Cholesterol 70 mg; Sodium 410 mg; Potassium 1010 mg; Total Carbohydrates 50 g; Dietary Fiber 11 g; Total Sugars 12 g; Protein 33 g; Vitamin A 1171 (IU); Vitamin C 25 mg; Calcium 154 mg; Iron 4 mg; Vitamin D 0 (IU); Folate 140 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 5.4 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 25%; Vitamin C 40%; Calcium 15%; Iron 20%
Nutrition information per serving (with Dressing)
Calories 1200; Total Fat 96 g (Sat 12 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 20 g, Mono 50 g); Cholesterol 85 mg; Sodium 790 mg; Potassium 1070 mg; Total Carbohydrates 53 g; Dietary Fiber 11 g; Total Sugars 12 g; Protein 35 g; Vitamin A 1400 (IU); Vitamin C 30 mg; Calcium 190 mg; Iron 4 mg; Vitamin D 0 (IU); Folate 143 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 5.5 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 30%; Vitamin C 50%; Calcium 20%; Iron 20%