IngredientsVegetable Kufteh (recipe follows) California Avocado Salsa (recipe follows) Seven Spice Emulsion (recipe follows) 1/4 cup cured black olives 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled Vegetable Kufteh (Yield: 2 lbs., 14 oz./6 cups) 1 cup bulgur wheat 16 oz. vegetable or mushroom stock 1 cup dried lima, fava, or adzuki beans 1 large onion, finely chopped 3 cloves garlic, minced 1 Tbsp. olive oil 1 tsp. ground cumin 1 tsp. Ground coriander 1 egg, beaten 1 cup or more breadcrumbs 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped 1 Tbsp. harissa 1 Tbsp. oregano, chopped As needed Salt and pepper to taste As needed vegetable oil for frying 1/2 cup sautéed wild mushrooms, roasted garlic, and/or barberries California Avocado Salsa (Yield: 5 cups) 6 Fresh California Avocados, peeled and pitted 1/2 cup tomato, diced 1/2 cup onion, diced 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped 1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil 1 cup lemon or lime juice 1 tsp. ground cumin 1 tsp. harissa As needed Salt and pepper to taste Seven Spice Emulsion (Yield: 2 cups) 16 oz. white wine 16 oz. verjus 4 medium carrots, peeled and rough cut 4 oz. butter 1 tsp. seven spice As needed Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add beans and boil gently until tender, 40-50 minutes. Rinse and set aside.
- Bring the vegetable/mushroom stock to a boil. Add the bulgur wheat and reduce heat to low and simmer covered for about 20 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed and the bulgur wheat is fluffy. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the onion and garlic. Cook until the onion is translucent and the garlic fragrant, but not browned. Add the cumin and coriander and cook for another minute. Remove from heat and let the mixture cool.
- Combine the cooked beans, bulgur wheat, onion mixture and the beaten egg. Mix in the breadcrumbs, adding more if needed to make the mixture semifirm. Mix in the cilantro, harrisa, and oregano. Add salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for at least one hour to firm.
- Using wet hands, portion out 5 oz. portions and roll each into a ball and place on a cookie sheet. Stuff the “vegiballs” with a tablespoon of the mushrooms, garlic, and/or barberries.
- Heat the vegetable oil to 350 degrees. Fry the “vegiballs” for about 2 minutes until browned. Place on a cookie sheet and into a 350 degree oven for about 5 minutes or until heated through.
California Avocado Salsa:
- Mash the avocado, leaving some large chunks. Mix in remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Seven Spice Emulsion:
- Bring the wine and verjus to a simmer. Add carrots and cook until very soft. Add the seven spice. Puree with an immersion blender until smooth. Add butter, puree to blend.
- Spread about 1/3 cup of the Seven Spice Emulsion onto each plate. Top with one and a half of the Vegetable Kufteh. Place a large scoop (about 2/3 cup) of the Avocado Salsa onto each plate. Top each scoop of the Avocado Salsa garnished with the feta cheese and cured olives. Serve.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados