Instant Pot® avocado egg bites are a fantastic way to start your day. Not only are they easy to make and delicious, they’re also protein-packed and full of avocado, spinach, and chilies to help you reach your 5-a-day. This recipe is easily doubled, and the egg bites keep well in the fridge for 5 days and can even be frozen, so these are great for meal prep! If you can’t find fresh Hatch chilies, you can substitute with an equal amount of Anaheim chiles or even 1 4 oz. can of rinsed and drained Hatch chilies. This recipe uses a silicone egg bite mold.
California Avocado Egg Bites
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|3||large Hatch chiles*|
|1||ripe but firm, fresh California Avocado, quartered, seeded, peeled and cut into small chunks|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Spray your silicone molds with cooking spray. Place a trivet in the bottom of your Instant Pot® and add one cup of cold water.
- Place chilies under a broiler, turning every few minutes until they are lightly charred on all sides. Then place in a bowl covered tightly with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Place spinach in a microwave-safe bowl with 1 tablespoon water and cover tightly. Microwave on high for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until it is wilted. Transfer spinach to a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out all excess moisture.
- Peel and seed the chiles and dice into ¼ inch pieces
- Add eggs, cottage cheese, salt, and pepper to a blender and blend until completely smooth. Add spinach, chilies, cheddar, cilantro, and scallion and pulse 3-4 times to distribute evenly. Pour mixture into the prepared molds and then add avocado to each egg bite.
- Tightly cover the egg bite mold with foil, making sure there are no gaps. Using the steam or pressure setting on high, set timer to 10 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally for ten minutes, then manually release the rest. Cool for 5 minutes before serving or store in the fridge for up to 5 days or freezer for 6 months.
*You can use Anaheim chiles or poblano peppers if Hatch chiles are not in season.
Serving Suggestion: Serve hot, cold, or at room temperature.
Beverage Pairing: Iced Green Tea.
Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 218 mcg; Vitamin C 41 mg; Calcium 159 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 1 mcg; Folate 125 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.19 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 25%; Vitamin C 45%; Calcium 10%; Iron 10 %; Vitamin D 6%