Fresh California Avocado with Colorado red potatoes, chicken, and a lemon-yogurt dressing are a winning combination for this main-dish salad.
Avocado, Potato, and Grilled Chicken Salad
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|4||medium Colorado red potatoes|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocados*|
|4||green onions, chopped|
|1/2||medium red bel pepper, chopped|
|8||oz.||frozen pre-cooked grilled chicken strips (about 8 strips), thawed, cut into bite-size pieces|
|1/2||cup||lemon non-fat yogurt|
|1/8||tsp.||ground black pepper|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
In a medium sauce pan, boil potatoes about 20 minutes, until just tender; run under cold water to cool, and cut into chunks. Peel avocado and cut into chunks; coat with lemon juice. Whisk olive oil, vinegar, yogurt, and pepper in a small bowl. Place all ingredients in large bowl. Gently toss.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces.
Tips for selecting and storing potatoes
- Look for clean, smooth, firm-textured potatoes with no cuts, bruises, or discoloration. Avoid potatoes with green skin.
- Store potatoes in a well-ventilated place, optimally at a temperature between 45°F and 55°F. Colder temperatures (as in a refrigerator) cause a potato’s starch to convert to sugar, resulting in a sweet taste and discoloration when cooked. If you do refrigerate, letting the potato warm gradually to room temperature before cooking can reduce the discoloration.
- Avoid areas that reach high temperatures (beneath the sink or beside large appliances) or receive too much sunlight (on the countertop near a window).
- Perforated plastic bags and paper bags offer the best environment for extending shelf-life.
Tips on selecting and using avocados
- Look for fresh California Avocados, avoiding fruit with dark blemishes or overly soft fruit.
- To tell if an avocado is ready for immediate use, gently squeeze the fruit in the palm of your hand. Ripe, ready-to-eat fruit will yield to gentle pressure.
- Place avocado sideways on a table, cut lengthwise around the seed. Turn and cut again. Pull apart the four quarters and remove the seed. Peel the skin to get the greatest concentration of beneficial nutrients in the dark green fruit closest to the peel.
- For easy instructions on how to choose and use avocado, visit http://www.avocado.org/how-to-choose-and-use/
For more tips and great tasting potato recipes, visit ColoradoPotato.org.
Meal/Photo: Serve with an 8 oz glass of nonfat milk, 1 slice of rustic whole-grain bread or a whole-grain roll, and apple slices (about ½ apple).
Colorado red potatoes 3 medium
California avocado 1 large
Green onions 3
Red bell pepper 1 medium
Apple 1 medium
Lemon juice 1 small bottle
Milk, fat-free 1 quart
Lemon yogurt, fat-free 1 6-8 oz container
Chicken breast, strips, frozen, pre-cooked 1 lb package (8 oz needed)
Whole grain rolls 4
% of Calories from Fat: 33%
% Calories from Sat Fat: 6%
Meal Nutrition Information per Serving:
Total Fat: 12g
Saturated Fat: 2.5g
% of Calories from Fat: 21%
% Calories from Sat Fat: 4% Protein: 32g
Dietary Fiber: 10g
1.5 Cup-Equivalents of Fruits and Vegetables per Recipe Serving
Recipe MyPlate Contributions
Vegetables 1.25 cup-equivalents
Fruit 0.25 cup-equivalent
Grain 0 oz-equivalent
Protein 2 oz-equivalents
Dairy 0 cup-equivalent
Each recipe serving provides: An excellent source of protein, fiber, vitamin C, vitamin B6, and potassium, and a good source of vitamin A, thiamin, riboflavin, folate, pantothenic acid, iron, phosphorus, magnesium, and copper.
Meal MyPlate Contributions
Vegetables 1.25 cup-equivalent
Fruit 1.25 cup-equivalent
Grain 1 oz-equivalent
Protein 2 oz-equivalent
Dairy 1.25 cup-equivalent
Each meal serving provides: An excellent source of protein, fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin D, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, vitamin B6, folate, vitamin B12, pantothenic acid, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, iodine, and copper, and a good source of vitamin E, iron, and zinc.