These crispy, flavor packed bacon and chive spaghetti squash fritters are the perfect appetizer with the flavorful, creamy avocado lime dipping sauce. Delicious and nutritious providing a good source of dietary fiber (14% DV) and vitamin K (10% DV), an essential nutrient the body needs to stay healthy.
Bacon and Chive Spaghetti Squash Fritters with Avocado Lime Sauce
Total Time: 30 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 48 mcg; Vitamin C 8 mg; Calcium 27 mg; Iron 1 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 39 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.09 g.
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 8%; Calcium 2%; Iron 6 %; Vitamin D 0%.
Ingredients4 cups cooked spaghetti squash threads 1 tsp. garlic powder 1 tsp. onion powder 1/2 tsp. sea salt 1/8 tsp. black pepper 1/4 cup coconut flour 2 large eggs, whisked 4 slices bacon, cooked, drained of fat, and finely chopped 2 Tbsp. finely minced chives 2 Tbsp. ghee, refined organic coconut oil, or preferred cooking fat for frying Options to add: 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated 1/4 tsp. chipotle powder Cook in bacon fat, for extra flavor California Avocado Lime Dipping Sauce: 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded and peeled 4 Tbsp. lime juice (from 2 limes) 1/4 cup fresh cilantro 1/4 cup yogurt (or non-dairy yogurt) 1/4 tsp. sea salt (or to taste, as needed) 1/8 tsp. black pepper or red pepper flakes, or to taste
- Remove the “spaghetti” from your spaghetti squash with a fork and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the mound of squash to a clean kitchen towel (or a few paper towels) and squeeze out any excess moisture. Really give it some good squeezes. Don’t skip this step, it’s worth it for finished product – you will be surprised how much excess liquid comes out. Return to mixing bowl.
- Add garlic, onion powder, salt, pepper and coconut flour.
- Add in the whisked eggs, bacon and chives.
- Mix really well with a fork until all ingredients are fully combined.
- Using your hands, form into 12 equally sized patties, made with approx. 1/4 cup of the mixture each.
- Flatten and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Continue forming until all are ready to be cooked.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add ghee or coconut oil. Once the pan is hot, add fritters.
- Once they’re browned on one side, flip and brown on the second side.
- Drain on paper towels and continue to fry in batches, as necessary, adding more ghee or oil as needed.
- Serve right away with the avocado lime dipping sauce and enjoy!
California Avocado Lime Dipping Sauce
- Add all of the ingredients to a high-powered blender or food processor and blend until well combined. An immersion blender also will work.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste (just a little at a time), then blend again and taste. Add more salt and pepper, if necessary. Store the sauce in the refrigerator in an airtight container and give it a good stir before serving. It will keep and stay fresh for upwards of 3 to 4 days.
Note: Leave out the bacon to make these vegetarian.
Serving Suggestion: Serve as an appetizer or as a side to your favorite dishes!
Beverage Pairing: Pair with a refreshing sparkling water, or your favorite white wine.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados