These crispy, flavor packed bacon and chive spaghetti squash fritters are the perfect appetizer with the flavorful, creamy avocado lime dipping sauce. Delicious and nutritious providing a good source of dietary fiber (14% DV) and vitamin K (10% DV), an essential nutrient the body needs to stay healthy.
Bacon and Chive Spaghetti Squash Fritters with California Avocado Lime Dipping Sauce
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|4||cups||cooked spaghetti squash threads|
|2||large eggs, whisked|
|4||slices||bacon, cooked, drained of fat, and finely chopped|
|2||Tbsp.||finely minced chives|
|2||Tbsp.||ghee, refined organic coconut oil, or preferred cooking fat for frying|
|Options to add:|
|1/4||cup||parmesan cheese, freshly grated|
|Cook in bacon fat, for extra flavor|
|California Avocado Lime Dipping Sauce:|
|2||ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded and peeled|
|4||Tbsp.||lime juice (from 2 limes)|
|1/4||cup||yogurt (or non-dairy yogurt)|
|1/4||tsp.||sea salt (or to taste, as needed)|
|1/8||tsp.||black pepper or red pepper flakes, or to taste|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Remove the “spaghetti” from your spaghetti squash with a fork and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the mound of squash to a clean kitchen towel (or a few paper towels) and squeeze out any excess moisture. Really give it some good squeezes. Don’t skip this step, it’s worth it for finished product – you will be surprised how much excess liquid comes out. Return to mixing bowl.
- Add garlic, onion powder, salt, pepper and coconut flour.
- Add in the whisked eggs, bacon and chives.
- Mix really well with a fork until all ingredients are fully combined.
- Using your hands, form into 12 equally sized patties, made with approx. 1/4 cup of the mixture each.
- Flatten and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Continue forming until all are ready to be cooked.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add ghee or coconut oil. Once the pan is hot, add fritters.
- Once they’re browned on one side, flip and brown on the second side.
- Drain on paper towels and continue to fry in batches, as necessary, adding more ghee or oil as needed.
- Serve right away with the avocado lime dipping sauce and enjoy!
California Avocado Lime Dipping Sauce
- Add all of the ingredients to a high-powered blender or food processor and blend until well combined. An immersion blender also will work.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste (just a little at a time), then blend again and taste. Add more salt and pepper, if necessary. Store the sauce in the refrigerator in an airtight container and give it a good stir before serving. It will keep and stay fresh for upwards of 3 to 4 days.
Note: Leave out the bacon to make these vegetarian.
Serving Suggestion: Serve as an appetizer or as a side to your favorite dishes!
Beverage Pairing: Pair with a refreshing sparkling water, or your favorite white wine.
Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 48 mcg; Vitamin C 8 mg; Calcium 27 mg; Iron 1 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 39 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.09 g.
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 8%; Calcium 2%; Iron 6 %; Vitamin D 0%.