This stuffed bell pepper recipe is great for meal planning and has a high potency of vitamin C giving more than 2 times you daily value (240 DV%). An excellent source of dietary fiber (29% DV), protein (34% DV), vitamins B3 (60% DV), B6 (60% DV), B5 (40% DV), B2 (30 % DV), A (20% DV), K (25% DV), E (20% DV), folate (30% DV) and potassium (25% DV) while providing a good source of vitamins B1 (15% DV), B12 (15% DV) and iron (10% DV). Stuff bell peppers during the weekend to eat during the week.
California-Style Stuffed Bell Peppers
Total Time: 1 h
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 181 mcg; Vitamin C 214 mg; Calcium 45 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 124 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.23 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 20%; Vitamin C 240%; Calcium 4%; Iron 10 %; Vitamin D 0%
Ingredients1 Tbsp. olive oil 1/2 cup red onion, chopped 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced 2 celery stalks, 6", diced 1 carrot, 6", diced 1 zucchini, 6", diced 1 lb. ground chicken 1/4 tsp. sea salt, or to taste 1/8 tsp. black pepper, or to taste 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and cut in small cubes 6 bell peppers, large colorful, tops cut off
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. When hot, add onion and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add celery, carrots, and zucchini. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add ground chicken to pot and mix well. Cook for 6 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and avocados and mix well.
- Divide ground chicken mixture among bell peppers. Line up bell peppers on rimmed baking pan and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and carefully remove aluminum foil. Place back in the oven and cook for another 10 minutes or until peppers are tender.
Variations: You may use ground turkey instead of chicken and grape tomatoes instead of cherry tomatoes.
Beverage Pairing: A glass of carbonated water.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados