This stuffed bell pepper recipe is great for meal planning and has a high potency of vitamin C giving more than 2 times you daily value (240 DV%). An excellent source of dietary fiber (29% DV), protein (34% DV), vitamins B3 (60% DV), B6 (60% DV), B5 (40% DV), B2 (30 % DV), A (20% DV), K (25% DV), E (20% DV), folate (30% DV) and potassium (25% DV) while providing a good source of vitamins B1 (15% DV), B12 (15% DV) and iron (10% DV). Stuff bell peppers during the weekend to eat during the week.
California-Style Stuffed Bell Peppers
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|1/2||cup||red onion, chopped|
|2||celery stalks, 6", diced|
|1||carrot, 6", diced|
|1||zucchini, 6", diced|
|1/4||tsp.||sea salt, or to taste|
|1/8||tsp.||black pepper, or to taste|
|1||cup||cherry tomatoes, sliced in half|
|2||ripe, Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and cut in small cubes|
|6||bell peppers, large colorful, tops cut off|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. When hot, add onion and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add celery, carrots, and zucchini. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add ground chicken to pot and mix well. Cook for 6 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and avocados and mix well.
- Divide ground chicken mixture among bell peppers. Line up bell peppers on rimmed baking pan and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and carefully remove aluminum foil. Place back in the oven and cook for another 10 minutes or until peppers are tender.
Variations: You may use ground turkey instead of chicken and grape tomatoes instead of cherry tomatoes.
Beverage Pairing: A glass of carbonated water.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 181 mcg; Vitamin C 214 mg; Calcium 45 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 124 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.23 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 20%; Vitamin C 240%; Calcium 4%; Iron 10 %; Vitamin D 0%