Baran’s 2239 BLAT Salad
Ingredients12 Frisée 3 ripe, Fresh California Avocados*, peeled, seeded and diced 1 1/2 cups bacon, (6 oz.), cooked, chopped 3/4 cup blue cheese crumbles, (3 oz.) Blue Cheese and Dill Dressing, (recipe follows) 3 cups cherry tomatoes, (15 oz.), halved 3 cups cucumber, (12 oz.), sliced 3/4 cup radishes, (3 oz.), sliced 1/2 cup lemon juice, (4 oz.) 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, (2 oz.) 2 tsp. salt Croutons, (recipe follows) Blue Cheese and Dill Dressing (Yield: 2 Cups) 1 cup mayonnaise, (8 oz.) 1/2 cup buttermilk, (4 oz.) 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles, (2 oz.) 2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar, (1 oz.) 2 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce 1/2 tsp. hot sauce 3 Tbsp. fresh dill, (¼ oz.), chopped Croutons (Yield: 5 cups) 3/4 lb. loaf of French or Brioche bread, cut into cubes 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil 2 garlic cloves, medium-sized, pressed 1 Tbsp. parsley, finely chopped 1/4 tsp. salt 1/4 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
Blue Cheese and Dill Dressing:
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Toss bread cubes with remaining ingredients. Spread on a sheet pan in a single layer. Bake 10-15 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. Let cool.
- Combine cherry tomato halves, sliced cucumber, sliced radish, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt in a large bowl. Toss to combine, then marinate for 5-10 minutes.
- Cut the bottoms off the Frisée and separate the leaves. Combine the Frisée, diced avocado, chopped bacon, blue cheese crumbles, and 12 ounces of the Blue Cheese and Dill Dressing. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Add more dressing if needed.
- For each plate, layer the salad mixtures—first tomato cucumber mix, then Frisee mix—repeat once. Top each salad with about 1/3 cup croutons.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados