These vegetarian burgers are so good that all of your meat-loving friends might start begging for their own black bean slider. If you’re watching your carb intake and prefer to go bun-free, you could serve these patties tucked inside of lettuce wraps. But whatever you do, don’t miss out on the Creamy California Avocado Sauce!
Black Bean Sliders Recipe with Creamy California Avocado Sauce
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|1/2||medium onion, chopped|
|2||cloves garlic, minced|
|1||medium chipotle pepper, seeded and minced|
|1/4||tsp.||freshly ground black pepper|
|1||cup||canned black beans, drained and rinsed|
|1||cup||cooked brown rice|
|1 1/2||tsp.||fresh lime juice|
|3||Tbsp.||panko bread crumbs|
|Creamy California Avocado Sauce (see make-ahead recipe below)|
|8||whole wheat dinner rolls, cut in half|
|2||Roma tomatoes, sliced|
|Creamy California Avocado Sauce|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and diced|
|2||Tbsp.||nonfat plain Greek yogurt|
|1||Tbsp.||fresh lime juice|
|1/2||small chipotle pepper, chopped|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Heat oil in a medium skillet set over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until soft. Add garlic, chipotle pepper, cumin, salt and pepper. Sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Scrape the mixture into the food processor. Add black beans, brown rice and lime juice. Pulse until the beans are chopped, but not pureed.
- Scrape the black bean mixture into a large bowl. Add the breadcrumbs and the cilantro. Stir the mixture until combined.
- Divide the mixture into equal portions (about 1/4 cup each) and form into patties. If the mixture is too moist to form patties, add more breadcrumbs.
- Place the patties on a baking sheet lined with plastic wrap and cover with additional plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet (preferably not nonstick, so a good crust can form) set over medium heat. Add the patties and cook for 3 minutes per side. If the skillet is not large enough to fit all of the patties, cook them in two batches.
- Divide the Creamy California Avocado Sauce between the rolls (about 1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon sauce per roll). Top each with one black bean patty and one slice of tomato. Serve.
Creamy California Avocado Sauce
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the avocado, cilantro, yogurt, lime juice, oil, chipotle pepper and salt. Puree until smooth.
Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Copyright © 2013, Dara Michalski
Vitamin A 346 IU; Vitamin C 8 mg; Calcium 45 mg; Iron 1 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 34 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.27 g
% Daily Value*: Total Fat 14%; Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 15%; Calcium 4%; Iron 6%