Farro Burgers with Sliced California Avocados
Ingredients4 oz. farro 10 oz. canned red beans, drained and rinsed As needed Olive oil 3 oz. red bell pepper, finely diced 3 oz. green bell pepper, finely diced 3 oz. onion, finely diced 6 oz. mushrooms, finely chopped 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs 1 Tbsp. tomato paste 1 1/2 tsp. soy sauce 3/4 tsp. Italian parsley, chopped 3/4 tsp. chipotle chili powder 1/2 tsp. ground cumin 1/2 tsp. vegetable base 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour As needed Tofu Aioli (recipe follows) 6 whole wheat buns As needed Butter lettuce leaves as needed for topping 2 roasted red peppers, sliced 2 Fresh California Avocados*, peeled, pitted, sliced Tofu Aioli (Yield: 1 cup) 6 oz. silken tofu 1 1/2 oz. roasted garlic 2 Tbsp. lemon juice 1 Tbsp. light miso 1 Tbsp. capers 1 Tbsp. water 2 tsp. nutritional yeast
- Combine all ingredients in a blender until smooth and creamy, adding additional water if needed to get the consistency of mayonnaise. Refrigerate for two hours to allow flavors to blend.
- Bring farro and lightly salted water to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes until cooked through. Strain farro and place in a large bowl.
- Blend half of the beans in a food processor until smooth. Add to the bowl of farro along with the whole beans.
- Heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a pan over medium high heat. Add the red and green bell peppers and the onion. Cook until vegetables are soft. Remove from heat and add to the bowl with the farro and beans.
- Add another teaspoon of olive oil to the pan and heat over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft. Remove from heat and add to the farro mixture.
- Add the panko, tomato paste, soy sauce, parsley, chipotle chili powder, cumin, and vegetable base to the farro mixture. Mix until well combined, then stir in the flour. Shape the mixture into 6 patties.
- Heat olive oil on a griddle over medium-high heat. Cook the patties for 3-4 minutes on each side until browned and crispy and heated through.
- Serve the burgers on the whole wheat buns spread with tofu aioli and topped with butter lettuce leaves, roasted red pepper slices, and 3-4 generous California Avocado slices.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados