This black lentil dal recipe makes a hearty vegan entrée. Creamy California Avocados nicely complement the traditional Indian spices.
Indian Black Lentil Dal with California Avocados
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|1||cup||whole Indian black lentils (urad dal)|
|1||yellow onion, medium, chopped|
|1||cup||crushed tomatoes, (8 fluid oz.)|
|3||cloves garlic, crushed|
|1||fresh ginger, finely grated|
|1||tsp.||fine grain sea salt|
|1/2||tsp.||ground cayenne pepper|
|1||serrano chile, finely chopped (seeds and membranes removed to decrease the spice level)|
|2||ripe, Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and chopped|
|Fresh cilantro leaves, to garnish|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- The night before cooking the dal, put the black lentils in a bowl and cover with cool water to soak overnight. When you are ready to cook, drain the lentils.
- Heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat in a pot or wok, then add the cumin seeds. When the seeds start to sizzle, add the chopped onion and sauté until the onions start to brown.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and mix well.
- Add the garlic, ginger, salt, turmeric, cayenne pepper, garam masala, and serrano chile and stir to mix everything together.
- Sauté for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the drained lentils and the water and stir. Bring the dal to a simmer, then cover the pot and reduce the heat as necessary to maintain a simmer and cook until the lentils are soft and creamy, about one hour, stirring occasionally. The lentils may soften before then, but if they are creamy yet, let them continue cooking. Once the lentils are finished cooking, if you want to thicken the dal further, continue simmering the dal with the lid off until it has thickened. Taste and add additional salt, if necessary.
- Remove the pot/wok from the heat, then stir in the avocados. Divide the dal into four bowls, then swirl in 1 tablespoon of coconut cream into each bowl and garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve immediately with steamed basmati rice.
Vitamin A 20 mcg; Vitamin C 20 mg; Calcium 76 mg; Iron 6 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 118 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.15 g