Fresh California Avocado adds a creamy touch to garden-fresh Bruschetta.
Bruschetta with California Avocado and Basil
Total Time: 10 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 317 IU; Vitamin C 9 mg; Calcium 10 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 43 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.1 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 15%; Calcium 2%; Iron 8%
Ingredients1 to 2 ripe Fresh California Avocados, seeded and peeled 1/2 lb. Roma tomatoes, sliced lengthwise and diced 1/4 cup diced red onion 2 Tbsp. olive oil 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil leaves, plus additional for garnish 1 to 2 medium cloves garlic, minced As needed Freshly ground pepper and salt, to taste 1 sourdough baguette (about 10 oz.), diagonally cut into 1/2-inch slices and lightly toasted
- Thinly slice half of the avocados, then cut the slices in half crosswise. Reserve.
- Dice the remaining avocado.
- In medium bowl, lightly combine the diced avocado, tomatoes, onion, olive oil, basil, garlic, pepper and salt.
- Top each slice of toasted bread with 2 or 3 of the reserved avocado slices. Top with about 1 heaping Tbsp. of the tomato-avocado mixture.
- Garnish each with small leaf of basil, if desired.
By placing the sliced avocado on the toasted bread first the tomato-avocado mixture stays on the bread better and is deliciously moist. If you prefer a drier bruschetta omit half the avocado.
Also try the tomato-avocado mixture over pasta, rice, grilled chicken or beef.
Try with a glass of Merlot.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados