Nutty quinoa and tart lemon pair well with creamy California Avocado in this super-easy stuffed avocado recipe. Zero cholesterol, low-sodium, an excellent source of vitamin C and fiber (24% DV). Enjoy!
Quinoa Stuffed Grilled California Avocados
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, halved, peeled and seeded*|
|2||tsp.||lemon juice, fresh, or more to taste|
|1/3||cup||quinoa, cooked, warm|
|Basil, to taste|
|Sea salt, to taste|
|4||grape tomatoes, small, halved|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle avocado halves with a little of the lemon juice, then brush them with the oil. Place cut side down on the hot grill just until grill marks appear, about 2 minutes. Remove and place on serving plates.
- Combine quinoa, lemon juice and zest.
- Cut basil into chiffonade strips and stir into quinoa. Season with sea salt to taste.
- Fold the tomatoes into the quinoa.
- Mound the quinoa mix into the grilled avocado halves. Garnish with a basil leaf if desired and serve.
Serving Suggestion: Other whole grains such as barley and bulgur, as well as legumes such as lentils also make great fillings for California Avocado halves.
Beverage Pairing: Chardonnay.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
(Nutrition information is without optional ingredients)
Vitamin A 397 IU; Vitamin C 15 mg; Calcium 19 mg; Iron 1 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 81 mcg;
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%; Vitamin C 25%; Calcium 2%; Iron 6%; Vitamin D 0%