Nutty quinoa and tart lemon pair well with creamy California Avocado in this super-easy stuffed avocado recipe. Zero cholesterol, low-sodium, an excellent source of vitamin C and fiber (24% DV). Enjoy!
Quinoa Stuffed Grilled California Avocados
Total Time: 10 min
Prep Time: |
(Nutrition information is without optional ingredients)
Vitamin A 397 IU; Vitamin C 15 mg; Calcium 19 mg; Iron 1 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 81 mcg;
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%; Vitamin C 25%; Calcium 2%; Iron 6%; Vitamin D 0%
Ingredients1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, halved, peeled and seeded* 2 tsp. lemon juice, fresh, or more to taste 1 tsp. olive oil 1/3 cup quinoa, cooked, warm 1/4 tsp. lemon zest Basil, to taste Sea salt, to taste 4 grape tomatoes, small, halved
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle avocado halves with a little of the lemon juice, then brush them with the oil. Place cut side down on the hot grill just until grill marks appear, about 2 minutes. Remove and place on serving plates.
- Combine quinoa, lemon juice and zest.
- Cut basil into chiffonade strips and stir into quinoa. Season with sea salt to taste.
- Fold the tomatoes into the quinoa.
- Mound the quinoa mix into the grilled avocado halves. Garnish with a basil leaf if desired and serve.
Serving Suggestion: Other whole grains such as barley and bulgur, as well as legumes such as lentils also make great fillings for California Avocado halves.
Beverage Pairing: Chardonnay.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados