Recipe courtesy of Chef Dave Wooley, CD Culinary Approach
California Avocado Saigon Subs
Ingredients24 half-baguettes (6" long) 24 Tbsp. chicken liver paté (recipe follows) 6 lb. pulled pork (recipe follows) 96 slices Fresh California Avocado* 1 cup avocado-sriracha mayonnaise (recipe follows) 2 English cucumbers, thinly cut on the bias 6 cups marinated carrot and daikon (recipe follows) 96 leaves fresh cilantro 96 leaves fresh mint 28 leaves fresh basil Chicken Liver Paté (Yield: Approximately 1-1/2 lbs.) 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil 7 oz. Onion, finely chopped 1/4 oz. garlic, minced (about 2 cloves) 1 1/4 lb. chicken livers, trimmed of fat and sinew 1 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper 3 Tbsp. mayonnaise Pulled Pork (Yield: Approximately 6 lbs.) 2 large onions, cut into 1/2" slices 1 6 or 7 lb. pork shoulder (Boston butt, bone-in will work) 2 garlic cloves 1 tsp. coarse black pepper 1 tsp. salt 1 tsp. kosher salt 12 oz. chicken stock (or enough to cover roast) Avocado-Sriracha Mayonnaise (Yield: Approximately 1-1/2 lbs.) 2 Fresh California Avocados*, peeled, pitted and quartered 8 oz. mayonnaise 1 Tbsp. lime juice 2 Tbsp. sriracha pepper sauce As needed Salt and pepper As needed water Marinated Carrot and Daikon (Yield: Approximately 6 lbs.) 1 recipe Nuoc Cham (recipe follows) 10 oz. carrots, shredded large 15 oz. daikon radish, shredded large 6 oz. red onion, fine julienne 1 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper 3 Tbsp. mayonnaise Nuoc Cham (Yield: Approximately 4-1/2 cups) 1/2 oz. sriracha 2 oz. sweet chili Thai chile sauce 2 Tbsp. fish sauce 1 oz. lime juice 3 Tbsp. carrot, finely minced 1 tsp. garlic, finely minced 9 oz. water
- To assemble each sandwich: slice each baguette horizontally into two pieces.
- Spread chicken liver paté on the bottom half; spread the top half with avocado-sriracha mayonnaise.
- Layer each bottom half with slices of cucumber, 4 oz. of pulled pork, 2 oz. of carrot and daikon mix, 4 slices of California Avocado, and 4 sprigs fresh cilantro, 4 mint leaves and 2 basil leaves, torn into pieces.
- Place top on filling and secure with a bamboo pick on each end. Cut in half (between the picks) and serve.
Chicken Liver Paté Instructions
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook until softened and caramelized, about 8 minutes.
- Add chicken livers, salt and pepper. Cook until the chicken livers are cooked through, but the interiors are pink, about 7-9 minutes. Remove chicken livers from the heat and cool to room temperature.
- In a food processor, combine chicken livers with mayonnaise and purée until smooth. Add salt as needed. Transfer to a bowl, cover and chill until ready to use.
Pulled Pork Instructions
- Place onions in a lightly greased 6-8 quart roasting pan. Rub roast with salt and coarse black pepper. Place the roast on the cut onions.
- Pour stock over the roast. Cover and cook at 250°F for 6-8 hours, or until the meat shreds easily with a fork.
- Transfer the roast to a cutting board or large bowl and, working with two forks, shred the meat, removing large pieces of fat. Remove onions with a slotted spoon, mince, and add back to shredded pork. Moisten as needed with cooking liquid.
Avocado-Sriracha Mayonnaise Instructions
- Purée ingredients together in a blender, scraping down the sides. Season with salt and pepper, and thin with water if necessary.
Marinated Carrot and Daikon Instructions
- Place shredded carrots and daikon in a mixing bowl. Pour on Nouc Cham and mix well.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 4-8 hours, stirring occasionally. Drain before using.
Nuoc Cham Instructions
- Mix all ingredients together and let sit for at least two hours.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados