Butternut squash, California Avocado and chocolate chips make this single-layer cake uniquely delicious. It's very moist and lightly sweet, perfect for high tea, brunch, dessert or whenever you like. No frosting needed – dust with powdered sugar if you like. This cake is an excellent source of vitamin A (25% DV)and vitamin E (20% DV).
Butternut Squash Avocado Chocolate Chip Cake
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|As needed||cooking spray|
|1||lb.||fresh butternut squash, peeled and cubed, (or 1 cup canned pureed butternut squash)|
|1||cup||whole wheat pastry flour|
|1 1/2||tsp.||baking powder|
|1/2||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and mashed (about ¼ cup)|
|1/4||cup||plain Greek yogurt|
|1||tsp.||pure vanilla extract|
|As needed||powdered sugar, optional|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray 8-inch cake pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cut butternut squash into cubes (around 1-inch square each) and bake on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees F. for around 30 minutes or until fork tender. Cool, puree squash in food processor or use 1 cup of canned pureed butternut squash and set aside.
- Spoon flours into dry measuring cups and level with a knife.
- Whisk together baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, eggs, avocado, yogurt and vanilla in a large bowl and beat with a hand mixer until well combined.
- Add almond milk and pureed butternut squash, beating at a low speed until blended together.
- Add flour mixture to above mixture and beat at a low speed just until combined (don’t over mix).
- Spoon batter into cake pan. Sprinkle almonds and chocolate chips on top.
- Bake cakes for 25-30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool and remove from pan.
- Sprinkle with power sugar (optional).
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 218 mcg; Vitamin C 8 mg; Calcium 107 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 22 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.03 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 25%; Vitamin C 8%; Calcium 8%; Iron 10%; Vitamin D 0%