This recipe showcases the versatility of avocados – baked for breakfast. Whip up this vibrant casserole the next time you’re serving brunch, or bake it the night before to have at the ready for early risers. Each serving provides an excellent source (20% or more Daily Value) of dietary fiber, vitamin A and vitamin C, a good source (10% or more Daily Value) of calcium and iron, and contains 10 grams of protein, providing a satisfying way to start your day.
California Avocado Breakfast Casserole with Spinach and Sweet Potatoes
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|2 1/2||cups||sweet potato, peeled and diced|
|1/2||cup||yellow or white onion, diced|
|As needed||Pepper, to taste|
|1||(10-oz.) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, water squeezed out|
|2||Tbsp.||fresh chopped basil (1/2 tsp. dried basil can be used instead of fresh basil)|
|1||Tbsp.||reduced-sodium soy sauce|
|4||tsp.||fresh lemon juice|
|2||ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded and peeled|
|1/4||cup||sun-dried tomatoes, chopped|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Place one oven rack 6 inches below the broiler element and place a second rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to high broil.
- Place sweet potatoes and onions in an 8 x 8-inch glass baking dish. Drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil on the top oven rack until potatoes begin to brown and are fork tender, about 10-15 minutes. After removing the baking dish from the oven, set the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl and crumble in spinach. Stir in milk, basil, mustard, soy sauce, salt and additional black pepper (to taste).
- Place the lemon juice in a medium bowl. Cut the avocado into 1/2-inch pieces and coat in the lemon juice. Gently stir the avocados into the eggs, pour the egg mixture evenly into the baking dish with the potatoes and onions, and sprinkle the tomatoes on top. Bake on the middle rack of the oven until the middle is set and no longer jiggly, about 45 minutes. Allow to set for 10 minutes. Cut into servings.
Serving Suggestion: Pair with a seasonal fruit salad and 100% whole-wheat toast.
Beverage Pairing: Enjoy with a sparkling apple cider or mimosa.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 9871 IU; Vitamin C 14 mg; Calcium 110 mg; Iron 2 mg
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 200%; Vitamin C 25%; Calcium 10%; Iron 10%