Say “aloha” to these tasty sliders with grilled Maui onions and a grilled pineapple guacamole with Fresh California Avocado.
California Aloha Sliders
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|1||Maui onion, peeled and sliced very thin|
|1/4||tsp.||sea salt, plus additional to taste|
|2||Tbsp.||KIKKOMAN® reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce|
|1||clove garlic, minced|
|1/2||tsp.||cayenne pepper, divided|
|As needed||Olive oil cooking spray|
|2||(1/2-in. thick or less) cored pineapple rings, cut in quarters|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and sliced or mashed|
|8||KING’S HAWAIIAN® Original Hawaiian Sweet Dinner Rolls|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Place the onion slices on a paper-towel lined plate. Sprinkle with salt and let rest for 10 minutes.
- While the onions are resting prepare the slider seasoning. Combine the teriyaki sauce, the garlic and half of the cayenne pepper; set aside.
- Turn a baking sheet upside down and cover with wax paper or nonstick foil; place the hamburger in the center. Cover with another sheet of wax paper or nonstick foil and pat or use a rolling pin to spread the meat toward the edges of the pan, until it is very thin. Remove the top layer of paper or foil. Stir slider seasoning and brush over the surface of the meat. Use the bottom layer of paper or foil to fold the meat in half. Cut into 8 squares; cover and set aside.
- Spray a large skillet with olive oil spray. When the onions have rested for 10 minutes pat them dry with paper towels, and then place them in the skillet. Cook on low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes or until they are golden brown. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Place the same skillet over medium-high heat and add the slider patties. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and keep warm. Drain the skillet but do not wipe out.
- Add the pineapple to the skillet and cook over high heat for 1 minute per side. Remove from heat.
- To assemble the sliders, place the grilled onions on the bottom halves of the buns. Top with the cooked slider patties, then the sliced or mashed avocado. Sprinkle with remaining cayenne pepper and salt to taste, then top with grilled pineapple and the top halves of the buns. Serve immediately.
Serving Suggestions: There are many ways to vary this recipe. Try adding one or more layers of red leaf lettuce, arugula, red cabbage slaw, wasabi mayonnaise or bacon if desired.
Beverage Pairings: Try with a California Avo Colada.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 79 (IU); Vitamin C 6 mg; Calcium 53 mg; Iron 3 mg; Vitamin D 0 (IU); Folate 63 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.1 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%; Vitamin C 10%; Calcium 6%; Iron 20%