California Avocado Beef and Black Bean Burger
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|1||cup||canned black beans, drained and rinsed|
|2||ripe, Fresh California Avocados, halved, seeded and peeled|
|1 1/4||lb.||lean ground beef (90% lean or higher)|
|1/2||cup||roughly chopped cilantro|
|1/2||cup||panko bread crumbs|
|8||thin slices reduced-fat Cheddar cheese|
|8||whole wheat hamburger buns, lightly toasted|
|As needed||Thinly sliced tomatoes|
|As needed||Lettuce leaves|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Preheat an outdoor grill to medium.
- Place the beans on a cutting board and mash with the back of a fork or large spoon until smooth, but still a bit chunky. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Place an avocado half on a cutting board and mash with the back of a fork. Transfer to the mixing bowl and stir together with the beans.
- Add the beef, cilantro, bread crumbs, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper and mix until well combined. Divide the beef mixture and shape into patties, each a bit larger in diameter than the hamburger buns. Create a small dimple in the center of the burger patty by pressing down with your fingers.
- Place the patties on the grill and cook until no longer pink inside and an instant-read thermometer registers at least 160°F, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Place cheese slices on top of patties about 2 minutes before done.
- While the burgers are cooking, cut the remaining avocado into thin slices. Place slices on a serving platter along with the tomatoes, lettuce leaves, and additional cilantro as desired.
- When the burgers are done, serve on buns and offer toppers on the side.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Copyright © 2013, Liz Weiss, MS, RD and Janice Newell Bissex, MS, RD: MealMakeoverMoms.com
Vitamin A 679 IU; Vitamin C 6 mg; Calcium 285 mg; Iron 3 mg; Vitamin D 5 IU; Folate 19 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.06 g
% Daily Value*: Total Fat 20%; Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 10%; Calcium 25%; Iron 15%