California Avocado Beef and Black Bean Burger
Total Time: 10 min
Vitamin A 679 IU; Vitamin C 6 mg; Calcium 285 mg; Iron 3 mg; Vitamin D 5 IU; Folate 19 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.06 g
% Daily Value*: Total Fat 20%; Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 10%; Calcium 25%; Iron 15%
Ingredients1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, halved, seeded and peeled 1 1/4 lb. lean ground beef (90% lean or higher) 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs 1 tsp. ground cumin 1/2 tsp. chili powder 1/4 tsp. kosher salt 1/4 tsp. black pepper 8 thin slices reduced-fat Cheddar cheese 8 whole wheat hamburger buns, lightly toasted As needed Thinly sliced tomatoes As needed Lettuce leaves
- Preheat an outdoor grill to medium.
- Place the beans on a cutting board and mash with the back of a fork or large spoon until smooth, but still a bit chunky. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Place an avocado half on a cutting board and mash with the back of a fork. Transfer to the mixing bowl and stir together with the beans.
- Add the beef, cilantro, bread crumbs, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper and mix until well combined. Divide the beef mixture and shape into patties, each a bit larger in diameter than the hamburger buns. Create a small dimple in the center of the burger patty by pressing down with your fingers.
- Place the patties on the grill and cook until no longer pink inside and an instant-read thermometer registers at least 160°F, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Place cheese slices on top of patties about 2 minutes before done.
- While the burgers are cooking, cut the remaining avocado into thin slices. Place slices on a serving platter along with the tomatoes, lettuce leaves, and additional cilantro as desired.
- When the burgers are done, serve on buns and offer toppers on the side.
Copyright © 2013, Liz Weiss, MS, RD and Janice Newell Bissex, MS, RD: MealMakeoverMoms.com
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados