Homemade or prepared vegetable broth plus canned beans, fresh veggies and California Avocado create a delicious veggie bean stew that is ready in minutes.
Veggie Bean Stew with California Avocados
Total Time: 15 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 81 mcg; Vitamin C 20 mg; Calcium 179 mg; Iron 62 mg; Vitamin D 5 mcg; Folate 168 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.26 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 20%; Calcium 15%; Iron 35 %; Vitamin D 25%
Ingredients1 Tbsp. olive oil 1 cup white or yellow onions, diced 1 cup sliced white or brown mushrooms (chopped if large slices) 1 clove garlic, minced 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes 32 oz. low sodium vegetable broth 1/2 tsp. sea salt, or to taste 3 (15.5 oz) cans low sodium or no salt added beans (such as 1 can each of cannellini beans, garbanzo beans and kidney beans), rinsed and drained 4 cups baby spinach or other greens 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven or stockpot. Add the diced onions and stir, cooking until translucent.
- Stir in the mushrooms, garlic and red pepper flakes; cook until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Add the broth and salt (if using). Bring to a simmer then stir in the beans. Remove ½ cup of the beans and broth.
- Gently stir in the spinach until it is wilted and the beans are hot.
- Just before serving, seed, peel and dice the avocado. In a small blender combine about ¼ of the avocado and the reserved beans and broth. Blend until smooth. (This step also can be done by hand using a fork to mash the beans, avocado and broth together.) Stir the mixture back into the pot to thicken the stew. If a thicker stew is desired continue simmering for a few minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Ladle the stew into serving bowls and top with the remaining diced avocado.
- For a meaty stew add smoked pork or sausage, smoked turkey, chopped bacon or crumbled Italian sausage.
- To prepare in a slow cooker, add the sauteed onions, mushrooms and garlic to the slow cooker, followed by the broth and beans. Cook on low for up to 8 hours, then follow the rest of the instructions. The spinach texture and color is best if added just before serving and cooking until wilted.
- To prepare in a multicooker or Instant Pot® follow the manufacturer instructions for a bean stew and add the avocado just before serving.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with a slice of crusty bread.
Beverage Pairing: Dry Riesling or lager beer.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados