The smooth, rich flavors of Fresh California Avocado pulls together the seafood and smoky/sweet components of this glamorous flatbread.
California Avocado and Shrimp Flatbread with smoked onion, candied sweet peppers and Cotija cream sauce
|Flatbread Build for 1:|
|1||Flatbreads (recipe follows)|
|1||oz.||Cotija Cheese Cream Sauce (recipe follows)|
|2||oz.||cooked shrimp (grill peeled, tailed and deveined shrimp, cool, cut into pieces)|
|1/2||Fresh California Avocado*, cut into 7-8 thin slices|
|1||oz.||Mozzarella cheese, shredded|
|1/2||tsp.||Cotija cheese, grated|
|1||tsp.||Candied Sweet Peppers, minced (recipe follows)|
|1 1/2||Tbsp.||Smoked Onions, diced (recipe follows)|
|Flatbread (Yield: 10 flatbreads)|
|1||package active yeast|
|1 3/4||cups||all-purpose flour|
|1||Tbsp.||fresh thyme leaves|
|3/4||cup||water (might need more)|
|Cotija Cheese Cream Sauce (Yield: 10 flatbread portions)|
|2||Tbsp.||pancetta, small dice|
|2||oz.||sweet onion, small dice|
|1/16||tsp.||fresh ground black pepper|
|2||oz.||Cotija, finely grated|
|Candied Sweet Peppers (Yield: 10 flatbread portions)|
|1||cup||distilled white vinegar|
|2||large red bell pepper, halved, seeded, and sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch-wide strips|
|1||garlic clove, smashed|
|Smoked Onions(Yield: 20 flatbread portions)|
|2||ea. large sweet onion|
|As needed||black pepper|
|As needed||sea salt|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
Flatbread Build for 1:
- Spread Cotija Cheese Cream Sauce on a precooked Flatbread.
- In order, add and evenly distribute shrimp, smoked onion, ½ oz. mozzarella cheese, candied red pepper and grated Cotija cheese.
- Evenly distribute Fresh California Avocado slices across the flatbread and top with the remaining mozzarella. Place on a baking sheet.
- In a pre-heated 450°F oven, bake at high heat until the flatbread bottom is crisp and the cheese is bubbling, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Cut into wedge-shaped pieces to serve.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the yeast, sugar, flour, salt and thyme. Pulse to combine.
- Add the water in a steady stream until the dough begins to form a ball. Turn it onto a floured board and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Coat a bowl with oil. Place dough in bowl, and cover with a damp cloth. Put in a warm spot to rise until double in size, about 1 hour.
- When doubled in size, punch down the dough, scrape it onto a floured board and knead it lightly into a smooth ball. Cut the ball into 10 pieces, and with a rolling pin form flat 10-12-inch ovals.
- Preheat a stove top grill pan to medium high. Do not oil. Place bread on hot grill and cook without touching until the surface bubbles, about 1 to 2 minutes. Turn over and continue to cook 1 to 2 minutes or until bread has puffed up. Serve immediately.
NOTE: Prepared flatbreads (10-12”) can be used in this recipe.
Cotija Cheese Cream Sauce
- In a sauce pot on med-high heat, partially cook pancetta, then add onion and continue cooking until the onion begins to caramelize.
- Add garlic and continue until garlic has roasted garlic scent, deglaze with white wine, add black pepper. Continue cooking until mixture is reduced by half.
- Add cream and reduce an additional 20%, or to a sauce like consistency. Remove from heat.
- In a blender, puree sauce with Cotija until almost smooth. Taste for salt and cool.
Candied Sweet Peppers
- Dissolve the sugar in the vinegar in a medium pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add the bell pepper strips, garlic, cinnamon stick, and star anise, then reduce the heat to low.
- Cook until the bell pepper strips are glazed, candied, and semi-transparent, about 45 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and set aside to cool. Transfer the bell peppers and liquid to an airtight container and refrigerate.
- Cut the top (the hard portion) of the onion off. Leave the bottom intact. Remove the outer layer of skin and discard.
- Brush each onion in olive oil. Liberally sprinkle sea salt and black pepper over each onion.
- Place the onions in a smoker at 200-225°F. (Use apple wood, if available). Smoke for 2 to 3 hours or until onions are soft.
- Remove from the smoker and cool. After cooling, cut into a medium dice.
NOTE: Caramelized onions can be substituted.
Serving Suggestion: Appetizer or starter on casual menus, passed appetizer for catering, buffet item.
Beverage Pairing: Lagers or light beers, fruity white wines like dry Rieslings or Gewurtraminers.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.