California Avocado Bowl with Quinoa
|11 1/4||cups||Cilantro Lime Quinoa (recipe follows)|
|5 1/3||cups||Black Beans (recipe follows)|
|3||lb.||Curry Grilled Turkey, sliced thinly on a bias (recipe follows)|
|3||cups||Pico de Gallo (recipe follows)|
|12||oz.||Queso Fresco, crumbled|
|4||ripe, Fresh California Avocado*, large dice (recipe follows)|
|Cilantro-Lime QuinoaYield: 11-1/4 cups|
|3||oz.||fresh lime juice|
|2||oz.||fresh chopped cilantro|
|Black BeansYield: 5-2/3 cups (45 oz.)|
|26||oz.||dried black beans|
|2 1/2||qt.||cold water|
|1 1/2||yellow onions, halved|
|Curry Grilled TurkeyYield: 3 lbs.|
|3||lb.||turkey breast boneless, skinless|
|1 1/2||oz.||lemon juice|
|1/4||cup||Extra virgin olive oil|
|As needed||ground black pepper|
|Pico de GalloYield: Approximately 3 cups|
|1 1/4||lb.||Roma tomatoes, small dice|
|1/2||cup||white onion, fine dice|
|1 1/4||oz.||cilantro, rough chopped|
|2||Tbsp.||fresh lime juice|
|3/4||tsp.||ground black pepper|
|2||Tbsp.||Extra virgin olive oil|
|4||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded, scored in large dice|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
Instructions for one serving
- Fold black beans into cilantro-lime quinoa. Mound 8 ounces quinoa-bean mix in the center of a serving bowl.
- Fan 4 ounces curry grilled turkey slices over the quinoa mixture.
- Top with ¼ cup Pico de Gallo, 1 ounce queso fresco, and a ½ ounce of crispy jalapeno.
- Garnish with 1/3 Fresh California Avocado dices.
- Rinse quinoa under cold running water until water is clear.
- Put quinoa and water in a pot and bring to a boil. Turn down heat to simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes. Quinoa should be fluffy and al dente.
- Fold the cilantro pesto, fresh lime juice, and chopped cilantro into the warm quinoa.
- Let cool.
- Under cold water, pick through beans and remove debris. Soak beans overnight (water should cover the beans by 2 inches.
- Drain and rinse soaked beans. Add beans to six cups of cold water and the remaining ingredients. Cook at a gentle simmer for 2 hours until beans have softened, but retain their shape. Cool in the cooking liquid.
- Drain beans and remove onion and bay leaves.
Curry Grilled Turkey
- Pound turkey breasts to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, and spices to make a marinade.
- In a shallow dish, marinate turkey overnight or at least 8 hours.
- When ready to grill, season each breast with salt and pepper. Mark the breast on the grill, and cook to 165°F internal temperature.
- Slice on the bias for assembly.
Pico de Gallo
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients together.
- Scoop out California Avocado flesh into bowl.
- Very gently toss with salt, lemon juice and EVOO.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.