California Avocado Bowl with Quinoa
Ingredients11 1/4 cups Cilantro Lime Quinoa (recipe follows) 5 1/3 cups Black Beans (recipe follows) 3 lb. Curry Grilled Turkey, sliced thinly on a bias (recipe follows) 3 cups Pico de Gallo (recipe follows) 12 oz. Queso Fresco, crumbled 8 oz. jalapeño, fried 4 ripe, Fresh California Avocado*, large dice (recipe follows) Cilantro-Lime QuinoaYield: 11-1/4 cups 2 lb. tri-color quinoa 8 oz. water 5 oz. cilantro pesto 3 oz. fresh lime juice 2 oz. fresh chopped cilantro Black BeansYield: 5-2/3 cups (45 oz.) 26 oz. dried black beans 2 1/2 qt. cold water 1 1/2 yellow onions, halved 2 bay leaves 1/2 Tbsp. kosher salt Curry Grilled TurkeyYield: 3 lbs. 3 lb. turkey breast boneless, skinless 1 1/2 oz. lemon juice 1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil 3 Tbsp. curry powder 2 Tbsp. ground turmeric 2 tsp. ground cumin 1 tsp. kosher salt As needed ground black pepper Pico de GalloYield: Approximately 3 cups 1 1/4 lb. Roma tomatoes, small dice 1/2 cup white onion, fine dice 1 1/4 oz. cilantro, rough chopped 1/2 Tbsp. ground cumin 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice 2 tsp. kosher salt 3/4 tsp. ground black pepper 2 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil California Avocado 4 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded, scored in large dice 1 tsp. lemon juice 1/4 tsp. sea salt 1 tsp. EVOO
Instructions for one serving
- Fold black beans into cilantro-lime quinoa. Mound 8 ounces quinoa-bean mix in the center of a serving bowl.
- Fan 4 ounces curry grilled turkey slices over the quinoa mixture.
- Top with ¼ cup Pico de Gallo, 1 ounce queso fresco, and a ½ ounce of crispy jalapeno.
- Garnish with 1/3 Fresh California Avocado dices.
- Rinse quinoa under cold running water until water is clear.
- Put quinoa and water in a pot and bring to a boil. Turn down heat to simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes. Quinoa should be fluffy and al dente.
- Fold the cilantro pesto, fresh lime juice, and chopped cilantro into the warm quinoa.
- Let cool.
- Under cold water, pick through beans and remove debris. Soak beans overnight (water should cover the beans by 2 inches.
- Drain and rinse soaked beans. Add beans to six cups of cold water and the remaining ingredients. Cook at a gentle simmer for 2 hours until beans have softened, but retain their shape. Cool in the cooking liquid.
- Drain beans and remove onion and bay leaves.
Curry Grilled Turkey
- Pound turkey breasts to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, and spices to make a marinade.
- In a shallow dish, marinate turkey overnight or at least 8 hours.
- When ready to grill, season each breast with salt and pepper. Mark the breast on the grill, and cook to 165°F internal temperature.
- Slice on the bias for assembly.
Pico de Gallo
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients together.
- Scoop out California Avocado flesh into bowl.
- Very gently toss with salt, lemon juice and EVOO.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados