This super simple start-your-day breakfast recipe uses convenience foods such as pre-washed, bagged kale, egg white substitute and jarred roasted red peppers to cut down on preparation time, but not flavor nor nutrition. Creamy smooth mashed California avocado adds good fats for flavor and satiety.
California Avocado Breakfast Taco
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|2||(6-inch) corn tortillas|
|1/2||ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded and peeled|
|Salt, to taste|
|1||packed cup washed, stemmed and torn kale (or spinach)|
|1/8||tsp.||hot red pepper flakes|
|1/2||cup||egg whites or egg substitute|
|1/4||cup||diced roasted red pepper|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Microwave tortillas to soften, 15 to 20 seconds. Reserving one quarter of the avocado for garnish, spoon remaining avocado on each tortilla and mash with a fork to spread; add a little squeeze of lemon juice and a light sprinkling of salt; dice remaining quarter avocado.
- Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add kale; sauté until just wilted, just a couple of minutes; turn onto a plate.
- Return skillet to burner and heat remaining oil. Whisk pepper flakes into egg whites. Add to hot skillet and using a spatula to push back the eggs that have set, tilt pan so uncooked eggs run into the empty portion of the skillet. Continue pushing back cooked eggs and tilting pan until eggs are no longer runny.
- Halve eggs, placing a portion on each tortilla; top each with a portion of kale, roasted pepper and diced avocado and squeeze with a little more lemon juice. Fold and serve.
Serving Suggestion: Seasonal melon or berries.
Beverage Pairing: Hot coffee or tea.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 3700 IU; Vitamin C 42 mg; Calcium 117 mg; Iron 1.5 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 62 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.2 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 70%; Vitamin C 70%; Calcium 10%; Iron 8%