Smoky trout and creamy California Avocado butter combine perfectly for a delicious breakfast or snack. The tasty avocado butter recipe also can be used for other avocado toast recipes and sandwiches.
California Avocado Butter and Smoked Trout Toast
Total Time: 40 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 705 IU; Vitamin C 23 mg; Calcium 86 mg; Iron 2.8 mg; Vitamin D 6 IU; Folate 138 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.8 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 40%; Calcium 8%; Iron 15%
Ingredients3 tsp. shallots, very thinly sliced 1/2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded and peeled 1/4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice, divided 1/8 tsp. salt, divided 1/4 (3.9-oz.) tin oil packed smoked trout, drained 1 slice 3/4"-thick rye bread 1/2 Tbsp. butter, melted 3 tsp. Italian parsley 1/4 Tbsp. fried capers (see make-ahead recipe, below) 1 Tbsp. lemon zest Fried Capers 1/4 Tbsp. capers in brine As needed Canola oil
- Place sliced shallots onto a paper towel to drain, and set aside.
- Make California Avocado Butter by thoroughly mashing avocado, butter, 1/4 tablespoon lemon juice and 1/8 tsp. salt and blending until smooth.
- Drain liquid from trout and set aside.
- Brush bread with melted butter and lightly toast each side
- Spread avocado butter mixture onto toast.
- Place trout on top of avocado; layer shallots and parsley on top. Finish with fried capers and remaining lemon juice. Garnish with lemon zest.
Fried Capers Instructions
- Place capers onto a paper towel and set aside to dry out for 30 minutes.
- Once they have dried, heat pot on stove with 1-inch of frying oil.
- When hot, add capers and fry until no bubbles appear around the capers. Remove and place on a new plate lined with paper towels.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados