Smoky trout and creamy avocado butter combine perfectly for a delicious breakfast.
California Avocado Butter and Smoked Trout Toast
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|3||tsp.||shallots, very thinly sliced|
|1/2||ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded and peeled|
|1/4||Tbsp.||unsalted butter, room temperature|
|1/2||Tbsp.||lemon juice, divided|
|1/4||(3.9-oz.) tin oil packed smoked trout, drained|
|1||slice 3/4"-thick rye bread|
|1/4||Tbsp.||fried capers (see make-ahead recipe, below)|
|1/4||Tbsp.||capers in brine|
|As needed||Canola oil|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Place sliced shallots onto a paper towel to drain, and set aside.
- Make California Avocado Butter by thoroughly mashing avocado, butter, 1/4 tablespoon lemon juice and 1/8 tsp. salt and blending until smooth.
- Drain liquid from trout and set aside.
- Brush bread with melted butter and lightly toast each side
- Spread avocado butter mixture onto toast.
- Place trout on top of avocado; layer shallots and parsley on top. Finish with fried capers and remaining lemon juice. Garnish with lemon zest.
Fried Capers Instructions
- Place capers onto a paper towel and set aside to dry out for 30 minutes.
- Once they have dried, heat pot on stove with 1-inch of frying oil.
- When hot, add capers and fry until no bubbles appear around the capers. Remove and place on a new plate lined with paper towels.
Vitamin A 705 IU; Vitamin C 23 mg; Calcium 86 mg; Iron 2.8 mg; Vitamin D 6 IU; Folate 138 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.8 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 40%; Calcium 8%; Iron 15%