When it comes to making a great salad, using high-quality ingredients makes all the difference. Sweet summertime tomatoes, fresh greens and, of course, creamy California Avocados. When vegetables are at their peak, they are chockfull of both flavor and nutrients, making them a “must” for any meal plan.
Ever since I was a kid vacationing along the Oregon coast with my family, I’ve been a fan of fresh crab. The ingredient is succulent, slightly sweet and almost begs to be the star of the show. Since I grew up eating fresh crab, I am admittedly a bit of a crab snob, eschewing the canned versions and opting for fresh crab meat instead. While it is a pricier option, it is also more flavorful, which means you can use a little less. For me, it’s worth the splurge once in awhile.
Nothing pairs with crab as well as California Avocado. And if you’re opting for the “good stuff” in the crab department, using premium avocados is a must. The texture and flavor of California just can’t be beaten, making them the perfect addition to this salad.
While a creamy dressing often works well with crab, I prefer a light lime vinaigrette for this recipe. Lemon works well too, if you prefer – The bright citrus flavors liven up the fresh produce without overpowering the rest of the flavors. Homemade dressings are a breeze to make and you’ll find that this one comes together in mere minutes.
Tips for making this California Avocado Salad:
- I chose arugula because I like the addition of the pepper flavor. If you prefer to use a different green, choose something light in texture (in other words, not kale) that won’t overpower the texture and flavor of the other ingredients. Baby spinach or mixed spring greens are also good options.
- For the olives, I used pitted, marinated green olives from the olive bar at my local grocery store. Substitute with whatever appeals to you, but I would avoid regular canned black olives. Olives with a brinier flavor are a better match in this salad.
- The dressing can be made ahead of time and refrigerated. Bring it to room temperature before dressing the salad.
- If you have fresh herbs on hand, thinly sliced basil or mint would be a great addition.
California Avocado, Crab and Olive Salad Recipe
Serving size: 1 salad
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- 4 cups arugula
- 6 oz. lump crab meat
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- ½ California Avocado, peeled, seeded & diced
- 1 ½ oz. pitted green olives, quartered
- 1/3 cup Lime Vinaigrette Dressing (see make-ahead recipe below)
- In a large serving bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Toss with the dressing.
- Serve immediately.
Lime Vinaigrette Dressing Ingredients:
- 1 ½ tbsp. fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp. agave nectar or honey
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 ½ tbsp. olive oil
Lime Vinaigrette Dressing Instructions:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, agave nectar and salt.
- Slowly whisk in the olive oil until combined.