California Avocado Croque Oscar
|10||sourdough bread slices, 3-4 inches in diameter, ¼ inch thick|
|60||thin asparagus spears, 2-3 inches long, poached until tender-crisp|
|10||slices Raclette or Muenster Cheese|
|10||oz.||jumbo lump crab meat, warmed|
|10||oz.||California Avocado-Brown Butter Hollandaise (recipe follows)|
|5||Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded, sliced and fanned*|
|1||oz.||chives or green onions, thinly sliced for garnish|
|California Avocado-Brown Butter Hollandaise Yield: 10 servings or 1-1/4 cups|
|3||oz.||hot water, divided|
|2||Fresh California Avocado, peeled and seeded*|
|2||dashes cayenne pepper hot sauce|
|2||dashes Worcestershire sauce|
|2||cups||hot (140°F) brown butter, strained|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Sparingly butter one side of the bread slices, then place them butter side down on a pre-heated medium flattop/griddle.
- On each bread slice, arrange asparagus so that the points are just peaking over the service side of the crust, then top with a slice of Raclette cheese. Allow the heat to soften/melt the cheese and toast the bottom of the bread to golden brown.
- Add about 3/4 ounce of warm lump crab to each build.
- Drape 3/4 ounce of California Avocado-Brown Butter hollandaise over the crab, allowing some of the crab pieces to show.
- Finish each Oscar with 5 thin, fanned slices of California Avocado, a drizzle (1/4 ounce) California Avocado-Brown Butter Hollandaise and 1/4 ounce lump crab meat.
- Garnish with chives and serve immediately.
California Avocado-Brown Butter Hollandaise
- In a blender, process yolks until fluffy and light in color (several seconds).
- Add the lemon juice, mustard, hot water, California Avocado, hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Puree on high.
- Dribble hot browned butter into the yolk mixture until sauce thickens. Adjust consistency with additional hot water. Season with salt.
- Remove from blender and hold warm in a bain marie.
- Repeat steps with the remaining ingredients.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.