California Avocado Lumpia
|24||sheets lumpia spring roll skins|
|3||lb.||Spiced Chicken Filling (recipe follows)|
|6||Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded, very thinly sliced*|
|Mango-Calamansi Sauce (recipe follows)|
|Spiced Chicken Filling (Yield: 3 pounds)|
|3||lb.||cooked chicken thighs, small dice (recipe follows)|
|9||Tbsp.||unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted|
|3||oz.||caramelized onion, minced|
|1 1/2||tsp.||smoked paprika|
|As needed||Salt, to taste|
|Spiced Grilled Chicken Thighs (Yield: 3 pounds)|
|1 1/2||cups||Italian salad dressing|
|2||Tbsp.||garlic, finely minced|
|2||Tbsp.||olive or canola oil|
|3||lb.||boneless, skinless chicken thigh|
|3||fresh mangos, peeled and seeded|
|1||bottle calamansi (Filipino citrus juice)|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Lay lumpia spring roll sheet flat, place 6-7 thin avocado slices across the sheet, overlapping edge to edge.
- Top with 2 ounces of Spiced Chicken Filling, spreading it edge to edge.
- Roll into a tight spiral. With damp fingertips, moisten the edge of the sheet to ensure a seal. The finished roll should resemble a long cigar.
- Fry lumpia at 350°F for 1-2 minutes, or until they start to brown slightly.
- Serve immediately with Mango-Calamansi Sauce.
Spiced Chicken Filling
- In a bowl, mix ingredients together.
Spiced Grilled Chicken Thighs
- Combine first five ingredients in a bowl, and add chicken thighs. Stir to coat, cover and marinate refrigerated for several hours or overnight.
- Oil a grill rack and cook/grill chicken over medium-hot fire, 3-4 inches from the heat.
- Cover and grill the chicken for 5-7 minutes per side (175°F internal temperature).
- Puree mangos and put in a squirt bottle. Put Calamansi sauce in a squirt bottle. Simultaneously, squirt both mango and Calamansi into ramekins to form a yin-yang/ half and half symbol.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.