This dish is a perfect blend of deep South spice and cool West Coast flavors. Creole spices are perfect for seasoning any kind of food. Here, we dig deep into the New Orleans spirit and spice things up with a delicious shrimp and andouille chicken sausage Jambalaya topped with a cool, creamy California Avocado Yogurt Sauce for a perfect balance of flavors.
Creole Jambalaya With California Avocado Yogurt Sauce
Total Time: 45 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 2299 IU; Vitamin C 41 mg; Calcium 141 mg; Iron 4 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 57 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 45%; Vitamin C 70%; Calcium 15%; Iron 20 %; Vitamin D 0%
IngredientsFor Creole Spice Blend (or buy Creole or Cajun spice mix) 2 Tbsp. smoked paprika 1 Tbsp. dried basil 1 Tbsp. dried oregano 1 Tbsp. garlic powder 1 Tbsp. sea salt 1 tsp. black pepper 1 tsp. white pepper 1 tsp. cayenne pepper 1 tsp. dried thyme For California Avocado Yogurt Sauce 1 medium ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded and peeled 1 cup low-fat yogurt 2 Tbsp. lemon juice 1 tsp. sea salt 1/2 tsp. black pepper For Jambalaya 1 Tbsp. canola oil 1/2 medium red onion, diced 1 package (12.8 oz.) andouille chicken sausage, sliced and cut into quarters 1 Red bell pepper, diced 4 stalks celery, diced 1 lb. peeled and deveined cooked shrimp, large, cut into ½ inch pieces 3 Tbsp. Creole spice blend (or buy Creole or Cajun spice mix) 1 14.5 oz. can diced, no salt added tomatoes 1 medium ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and diced As needed California Avocado Yogurt Sauce
For Creole Spice Blend
- Place all measured ingredients in a small bowl. Stir to blend. Place leftover seasoning in an airtight container and store in a cool, dark place for later use.
For California Avocado Yogurt Sauce
- Place the avocado in a medium bowl. Mash avocado with a fork until all large pieces are crushed.
- Add the yogurt, lemon juice, sea salt and black pepper. Mix well.
- Place in the refrigerator; let sit for about 1 hour to allow the flavors to develop.
- In a medium sauté pan, add the canola oil and heat over medium high heat for 1 minute. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes or until onions become translucent.
- Add the chicken sausage and cook for 3 minutes, allowing the chicken the begin to brown.
- Add the bell pepper and celery and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and Creole Spice Blend. Mix together. Add the canned tomatoes. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the sauce begins to thicken. Remove from heat and let cool for 2 minutes. Add avocado and stir. Serve with California Avocado yogurt Sauce.
Serving Suggestion: Serve on top of toasted sourdough bread, brown rice, or with roasted vegetables.
White – St. Innocent Pinot Blanc, Freedom Hill Vineyard, Willamette Valley
Rose – Des Amis Pinot Noir & Cabernet Sauvignon Rose, Napa Valley
Red – McPhail Pinot Noir, Sonoma Coast
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados