California Avocado Neapolitan Pizza
IngredientsPizza dough, (recipe follows) 1/2 cup almond milk cream cheese Kale Cashew Pesto , (recipe follows) 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados Pickled Red Onion , (recipe follows) Arugula Salad, (recipe follows) 1 tsp. minced garlic, fried 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes Pizza Dough (Yield: 2-10" rounds) 4 1/2 cups bread flour 1 tsp. instant yeast 3 tsp. sugar 1 1/2 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. garlic powder 4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil 1 1/2 cups warm water Kale Cashew Pesto (Yield: 1 cup) 1/2 cup kale 1/2 cup pesto, prepared 1/8 cup cashew pieces 2 Tbsp. California Avocado Oil Pickled Red Onion (Yield: 1 qt.) 1 lb. red onion 1 1/2 qt. water 3 tsp. salt 1/3 cup sugar 2 cups apple cider vinegar 1 Tbsp. sriracha hot sauce 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, minced 1 Tbsp. Moroccan spice blend (ras el hanout) or Chinese Five Spice 1/2 tsp. fresh garlic, minced Arugula Salad (Yield: 1 cup) 1 cup arugula 2 tsp. ripe, Fresh California Avocados* 1 tsp. California Avocado oil 1/8 tsp. salt 1/8 tsp. pepper
- Using a mixer with the hook attachment, place the flour in the mixer and start mixing on low speed.
- Add in the yeast, sugar, salt and garlic powder. Mix for 1 minute.
- Set the mixer to medium speed and slowly add in the oil. Then slowly add in the warm water until the dough starts to form a ball. Once the dough in not sticking to the sides of the bowl and is on the hook, turn off and transfer dough to a clean surface.
- Separate the dough into 2 portions, about 10 oz each.
- Knead the dough balls, rolling and tucking at the bottom.
- Once rolled, lightly rub with oil and place under a towel at ambient temperature for 30 minutes.
- Once proofed, hand stretch or roll into desired shape, ¼” thick.
Kale Cashew Pesto
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend for 30 seconds, on low speed.
- Remove the lid, scrape the sides and then replace the lid and blend for an additional 30 seconds, on high speed.
Pickled Red Onion
- Remove the skin from the onions and cut in half. Turn and slice the onion into 1/8″ half-moon strips. Set aside in a container, with a secure lid, that will hold onions and liquid.
- Place water, salt, sugar, and vinegar into a pot and bring to simmer, whisk until salt and sugar dissolve. Once mixture simmers, stir in hot sauce, ginger, seasoning and garlic. Bring back to a simmer. Whisk to incorporate all ingredients.
- Pour the hot mixture over the onions and let stand for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes secure the lid and store refrigerated until ready to use. Use within 2 weeks.
- Toss arugula with remaining ingredients. Keep cold until service.
Assemble, per order:
- Hand stretch or roll dough into desired shape, ¼” thick.
- Spread ¼ cup almond milk cream cheese over entire pizza, 1 inch from edge.
- Spoon 3 Tbsp. Kale Cashew Pesto, in dollops, covering the whole pizza.
- Place in 500°F oven to bake until crust is golden and filling is bubbling, 6-8 minutes
- Cut avocado in thin slices, fan over entire pizza leaving a circle (size of a baseball, about 3″) in the middle.
- Scatter 1 Tbsp. Pickled Red Onion over pizza.
- Arrange ½ cup Arugula Salad in the middle of the pizza.
- Garnish with ½ tsp. fried minced garlic and pinch red pepper flakes.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados