Pesto is recognized around the world, bridging across cultures and spanning history. This basil pasta recipe adds a unique twist on the classic, Italian staple by complementing it with a Golden State icon – California Avocados.
Linguine with California Avocado Pesto and Cherry Tomatoes
Total Time: 35 min
Prep Time: |
Ingredients1 lb. linguine, cooked al dente, reserving 1 cup of pasta water 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded and peeled 1 cup baby arugula leaves 1 cup baby spinach leaves 1 cup basil leaves, packed 1/4 cup pepitas (roasted pumpkin seeds) 1/4 cup Cashews, toasted 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil 1 tsp. sea salt 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved 2 Tbsp. julienned basil leaves, for serving
- Place cooked linguine and reserved pasta water to the side.
- Add the halved avocados, baby arugula, baby spinach, basil leaves, pumpkin seeds, cashews, garlic, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and pepper to a blender or food processor and then blend until smooth.
- Once the pesto is smooth, add the grated parmesan and pulse a few more times to combine.
- Place the pasta in a large serving bowl and top with the California Avocado Pesto.
- Toss the pasta together with the pesto until coated.
- Add the halved cherry tomatoes
- A small amount of reserved pasta water can be added to the pasta, as needed, to create a loose, silky pesto that coats the linguine evenly.
- Sprinkle pasta with the julienned basil leaves and serve.
Serving Suggestion: In addition to the julienned basil, you can top the dish with any remaining toasted pumpkin seeds or cashews for added texture.
Beverage Pairing: Pair the dish with a buttery Chardonnay to smooth the nutty profile of the pesto. However, grassy notes from a crisp glass of Sauvignon Blanc can also provide a refreshing aftertaste.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados