California Avocado-Smoked Corn & Crab Bisque with Avocado-Chive Oil
Ingredients8 ears of corn, lightly smoked in applewood for 10-15 minutes 1/2 cup butter, unsalted 4 oz. white onion, finely diced 1 tsp. smoked paprika 1/2 tsp. pepper 2 Tbsp. crab base 4 cups Heavy Cream 2 cups milk 3 oz. apple juice 3 tsp. Turbinado sugar 2 Fresh California Avocados*, peeled and seeded, divided 8 oz. claw crab meat 1/2 oz. lime juice As needed Salt to taste As needed Garnish (recipe follows) Garnish 4 Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded and diced 5 drops Avocado-Chive Oil (recipe Follows) 8 oz. claw crab meat 1 oz. chives, cut in 1-inch lengths on the bias Avocado-Chive Oil 5 oz. avocado oil 1 oz. fresh chives, roughly chopped As needed Salt to taste
- In a mixing bowl, use a box grater to shave the smoked kernels off of the corncobs. Yield should be approximately 4 cups of kernels and liquid. Reserve cob and grated smoked corn separately.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onions and cook over medium heat until soft, about 7 minutes.
- Add smoked paprika and black pepper and stir in for 20 seconds then add grated smoked corn and crab base and cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring in and to allow crab base to disperse.
- Add the corncobs, heavy cream, milk, apple juice and turbinado sugar and increase heat to medium-high. When soup reaches a simmer, lower heat and continue simmering for 12 minutes. Remove the cobs. Using a spatula, scrape excess liquid clinging to the cobs back to the saucepan. Discard cobs.
- Put 2 California Avocado halves (7oz) and one-half of the soup into a blender, and blend on high speed. Repeat with remaining avocado halves and soup. Return blended soup to sauce pot. The California Avocados should have tinted the soup a light green.
- Add 8 oz. crab meat and the lime juice. Check and adjust salt.
- Before serving, bring the soup to 140°F. Garnish with diced avocado, chive spears and Avocado-Chive Oil.
- Heat 5 oz. of avocado oil to 250°F (but no hotter than 300°F.
- Place 1 oz. of fresh chives (rough cut) in blender, add hot oil and purée.
- Strain oil through a fine Chinois and cool in ice bath to kee[ green chlorophyll color and flavor.
- Add salt to taste, mix well.
- Divide the soup into 1 or 2-ounce portions. Warm crab meat.
- Garnish each serving with 2-3 pieces diced California Avocados, 4-5 drops of Avocado-Chive oil and 1 tsp. crab meat. Finish with 3-1 inch biased-cut chives.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger avocados, adjust the quantity accordingly.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados