California Avocado Spice Cake with California Avocado Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients2 cups sugar, granulated 1 cup butter 4 each eggs 2 cups Fresh California Avocado, peeled, pitted, mashed 1 cup buttermilk 3 cups flour, all purpose 1 tsp. nutmeg, freshly grated 1 tsp. cinnamon 1 tsp. allspice 2 tsp. baking soda 1 cup raisins 1 cup walnuts, chopped 2 tsp. additional flour California Avocado Cream Cheese Frosting 8 oz. cream cheese, softened 1/2 cup butter, softened 2/5 cup Fresh California Avocado, peeled, pitted, pureed 13 oz. powdered sugar 4 tsp. sour cream 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract Caramelized California Avocado 1 each, Fresh California Avocado, peeled and pitted As needed granulated sugar As needed vegetable oil
- Cream together sugar and butter. Add the avocado and eggs and beat to incorporate. Mix in the buttermilk.
- Mix together the flour, spices and baking soda. Add them to the batter and mix well.
- Toss the raisins, walnuts and small amount of flour together. Add to the batter and mix in.
- Pour into an ungreased ½ sheet pan and bake at 350 until done and golden, about 35 minutes. Cool to room temperature before frosting.
California Avocado Cream Cheese Frosting Preparation
- Beat together the cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in the pureed avocado.
- Beat in the powdered sugar, sour cream and vanilla. Refrigerate.
- Shelf life of the frosting is 3 days.
Caramelized California Avocado
- Slice each half of the avocado end to end, into 16 slices.
- Press both sides of each slice into sugar.
- Sauté on medium in a little bit of oil in a non-stick sauté pan until the sugar is caramelized, flip and repeat on other side.
- Slice the cooled cake 8 X 4. Pipe on the frosting. Top each piece with a slice of caramelized avocado. Refrigerate.
California Avocado Spice Cake Yields: ½ sheet pan, 32 servings
California Avocado Cream Cheese Frosting Yields: 23 oz., enough for ½ sheet pan
Caramelized California Avocado Yields: 32 slices
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados