Try Chef Ivy Stark’s creamy and sumptuous California Avocado Ice Cream made with honey and creamy buttermilk.
Avocado Honey Lime Ice Cream
Ingredients4 large egg yolks 2/3 cup pure honey 1/8 tsp. salt 2 cups half and half 1 cup buttermilk 2 Tbsp. lime zest 3 ripe, fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and pureed
- Whisk together eggs, honey and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, bring the half-and-half, buttermilk and lime zest to a full simmer. Once liquid begins to bubble, remove from the heat. Cover and let steep 2 hours.
- Once cream mixture has cooled, strain into another medium saucepan. Over low heat, bring to a simmer again.
- Temper the egg and honey mixture by adding the simmering cream to the mixture in a ladle a little bit at a time while whisking. Then, return the mixture to the saucepan. Continue to simmer over medium-low heat, whisking constantly until the custard thickens enough to coat a spoon and the thermometer reads 170°F to 175°F, about 4 minutes (do not allow mixture to boil).
- Strain mixture into a clean bowl and allow the steam to escape. Cover and chill mixture until cold (at least 3 hours, and up to 1 day).
- Process the custard in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Add avocado purée halfway through freezing.
- Transfer to a bowl or tub and freeze until firm, at least 3 hours, and up to 3 days.
Copyright © Ivy Stark/Dos Caminos
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados