Sweet pickled onions and a luscious poached egg make for a perfect breakfast.
California Avocado Toast with Pickled Red Onions, Egg and Esplette Pepper
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|1||slice 1/4”-thick country bread|
|1/2||tsp.||Extra virgin olive oil|
|As needed||Kosher salt, to taste|
|1/2||ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and thinly sliced|
|1||Tbsp.||pickled red onions (see make-ahead recipe below)|
|1||egg, softly poached|
|As needed||Espelette pepper, to taste|
|As needed||Pickled Red Onions|
|Yields: 1 cup|
|1||chili de arbol|
|1||red onion, thinly sliced|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Drizzle sliced bread with virgin olive oil. Toast on a flat top, non-stick frying pan or griddle until golden brown.
- Sprinkle toasted bread very lightly with kosher salt.
- Place the avocado slices on top of toasted bread and sprinkle lightly with another light pinch of kosher salt.
- Top with pickled red onions and one softly poached egg.
- Sprinkle the egg with Espelette pepper.
Pickled Red Onions Instructions
- Bring to a boil the champagne vinegar, water, sugar, kosher salt, bay leaf and chili de arbol.
- Pour the hot liquid over the onion slices. Let sit for an hour before serving.
- The onions can be stored for up to one week.
Vitamin A 491 IU; Vitamin C 15 mg; Calcium 125 mg; Iron 4.3 mg; Vitamin D 41 IU; Folate 159 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.2 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 25%; Calcium 10%; Iron 25%