This grilled tofu sandwich on toasted flaxseed bread is a vegetarian delight and an excellent source of protein, calcium, potassium, vitamins C, A and K along with dietary fiber. The lemon-herb marinade gives the tofu a tangy, smoky flavor that pairs perfectly with the sweet sundried tomatoes and Fresh California Avocados.
California Savory Summer Sandwich
|1||(14-oz.) package extra-firm tofu|
|2||Tbsp.||Extra virgin olive oil|
|2||oz.||sundried tomato (dried, rather than marinated, preferred)|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocados*|
|8||slices whole grain flaxseed bread|
|1/2||cup||light mayonnaise or egg-free mayonnaise|
|1||head (about 12 leaves) Bibb lettuce|
|1||cup||loosely packed alfalfa sprouts (optional)|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Drain package of tofu and cut width-wise into 8 slices. Dab excess moisture from each slice with paper towels. Leave to rest on paper towels while preparing the marinade.
- To prepare marinade combine lemon juice, olive oil, cumin, oregano, garlic salt and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Heat a grill pan to medium high, dip each tofu slice into the marinade and coat well. Grill tofu slices on each side for about 3-5 minutes until visible grill marks are seen. Remove from heat, set on a plate and baste with leftover marinade. Set aside to cool.
- Julienne sundried tomatoes into about 4 length-wise strips each.
- Cut avocados into quarters length-wise Remove seed and peel each quarter. Cut avocado quarters into 1/2-inch length-wise slices.
- Toast bread. Spread each slice with mayonnaise. On half the bread slices layer equally distributed lettuce, sprouts, tomatoes, tofu, and avocado.
- Top with remaining bread slices, cut in half and enjoy!
Serving Suggestion: Serve with a fresh fruit salad.
Beverage Pairing: Nice with sparking water and lemon.
**Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados.
Calories 510; Total Fat 27 g (Sat 4 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 9 g, Mono 13 g); Cholesterol <5 mg; Sodium 830 mg; Potassium 720 mg; Total Carbohydrates 49 g; Dietary Fiber 13 g; Total Sugars 9 g; Protein 19 g; Vitamin A 1626 IU; Vitamin C 31 mg; Calcium 324 mg; Iron 5.5 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 127 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 35%; Vitamin C 50%; Calcium 30%; Iron 30%