Whether you call it a bacon avocado grilled cheese sandwich or an avocado bacon grilled cheese sandwich, either way this classic grilled cheese sandwich recipe goes deluxe with the addition of Fresh California Avocado and crispy bacon.
Avocado Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Total Time: 10 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 207 mcg; Vitamin C 11 mg; Calcium 850 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 1 mcg; Folate 62 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.73 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 25%; Vitamin C 10%; Calcium 70%; Iron 10 %; Vitamin D 6%
Ingredients2 slices seeded whole grain bread, or sliced bread of choice 2 (1 oz) slices cheese (such as cheddar, cheddar jack, gruyere etc.) 1/4 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and sliced 2 slices crispy cooked bacon, cut or folded horizontally in half 1/2 Tbsp. butter, melted 1/2 Tbsp. mayonnaise*
- Preheat an individual sandwich maker or see below for skillet instructions. Place one cheese slice on one bread slice.
- Spread avocado slices over the cheese slice leaving a small border of cheese around the edges. (Tip, if using a sandwich maker, place the avocado slices to either side of the sandwich maker’s diagonal bar.)
- Top with the second slice of cheese, the bacon slices and the remaining bread slice.
- Combine the melted butter and mayonnaise; spread half the mixture onto the top slice of bread.
- Carefully place the sandwich into the sandwich maker with the butter-mayonnaise spread side down.
- Spread the remaining butter-mayonnaise mixture on the other side of the sandwich and close the sandwich maker. Cook for 2 to 5 minutes or until the sandwich is golden brown and the cheese is melted. With a heat resistant spatula or tongs remove cooked sandwich and place on a plate. Cut in half and serve immediately.
- Preheat skillet over medium-high heat. Place sandwich in skillet, spread butter mayo mixture on second side of bread and cook for 3 minutes. Carefully flip the sandwich. If you have a grill press, place that on top of the sandwich to weigh it down, otherwise gently press on the sandwich using a heat resistant spatula. Cook for 2 minutes more or until the sandwich is golden brown and the cheese is melted. If the bread seems too dry spread with a little extra butter and cook for a few seconds more on both sides.
Recipe editor’s note: ***Using a combination of melted butter and mayonnaise gives a crisp texture to the grilled cheese sandwich along with a buttery taste.
Variation: Use two different types of cheeses such as Swiss, Monterey Jack or mozzarella.
Serving Suggestion: For a classic comfort treat serve the avocado bacon grilled cheese sandwich with hot tomato soup.
Beverage Pairing: Cold milk.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Using a combination of melted butter and mayonnaise gives a crisp texture to the grilled cheese sandwich along with a buttery taste.
Did You Know?
There are lots of quick and easy recipes on this site. Some have more than 7 ingredients, but most can be prepared in 15 minutes or less. Even with simple recipes it helps to know how to store avocados before you use them and if you have any left over.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados