Caribbean Fish Sandwich with Grilled Pineapple-California Avocado Salsa
Ingredients8 Snapper or grouper fillets As needed Egg wash 2 cups cornmeal 1 cup Shredded unsweetened coconut As needed Salt and freshly ground pepper - to taste As needed Vegetable oil 8 Sandwich rolls* 1 California Avocado 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise Grilled Pineapple-California Avocado Salsa (see Recipe) *16 slices of crusty bread may be subsituted Grilled Pineapple-California Avocado Salsa 1 Pineapple, unpeeled, sliced As needed Vegetable oil 1 large ripe, Fresh California Avocado, cut into chunks 1/2 cup chopped red onion 1/4 cup chopped cilantro 1 Jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced 1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice 1 1/2 Tbsp. rum 1 tsp. Grated lime zest As needed Salt and freshly ground pepper - to taste
- Dip fish fillets in egg wash. Combine cornmeal, coconut, salt and pepper on tray; coat fillets with mixture on both sides.
- Heat 1/2-inch oil in large skillet. Add fish and fry until golden and crisp.
- PER ORDER
- Mash avocado with lime juice and mayonnaise until smooth. Lightly toast rolls or bread and spread avocado mixture on bottom half. Top with a fish fillet and Avocado-Pineapple Salsa; cover with tops of rolls or another bread slice.
Grilled Pineapple-California Avocado Salsa
- Brush pineapple slices lightly with oil and place on medium-hot grill or in grill pan. Grill 3 to 5 minutes per side or until lightly browned with grill marks.
- Peel pineapple and cut into small pieces. Combine pineapple and remaining ingredients for salsa; toss to combine. Reserve.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados