This recipe is a great rendition of the classic gyro we are used to. We incorporate a California spin using local yellowfin tuna instead of lamb or chicken making this a great addition to any spring and summer out door gathering. California Avocado is incorporated in a unique way, to achieve a balance of good fats, acidity, and bold Greek- inspired flavors in this taco.
Grilled Tuna Taco with California Avocado Tzatziki
|Grilled Tuna Taco|
|1||lb.||sushi grade yellowfin tuna, cut into 8 logs (3/4 inch by 3 inches)|
|As needed||Salt and black pepper, to taste|
|1/2||cup||California olive oil|
|1||red onion, thinly sliced|
|10||cherry tomatoes, halved|
|3/4||cup||sliced English cucumbers|
|1/8||tsp.||salt, or to taste|
|1/8||tsp.||black pepper, or, to taste|
|As needed||Lemon juice, to taste|
|1 1/2||Tbsp.||olive oil|
|As needed||California Avocado Tzatziki (see make- ahead recipe below)|
|1||small bunch of fresh dill sprigs|
|1||small bunch of fresh mint, picked|
|2||ripe, fresh California Avocados, seeded and peeled, 1/4 inch sliced|
|California Avocado Tzatziki|
|1 1/2||tsp.||tahini paste|
|1 1/2||cloves garlic, minced|
|1/4||cup||diced cucumber, ¼ inch|
|1/4||cup||diced, ripe, fresh California avocado, 1/4 inch|
|1/4||cup||fork smashed, ripe, fresh California Avocado|
|1 1/2||tsp.||grated lemon peel|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
Grilled Tuna Taco
- In a small bowl, using a whisk, mix the lemon juice, oregano, cumin, coriander, cilantro, salt and pepper. Slowly drizzle the oil in a slow stream until incorporated. Reserve.
- In a medium bowl, rub the tuna with the mixture until coated properly. Reserve in the refrigerator covered with plastic wrap to allow the marinade to infuse. About 1 hour.
- Preheat grill using charcoal or wood to about 400°F. You can also use a skillet indoors if you prefer at high heat.
- Grill or sear tuna logs about 45 seconds on each side. The tuna is best served seared rare, but cook until desired doneness. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, lightly mix the red onion, cherry tomatoes, English cucumbers, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and oil. Let marinate for 15 minutes
- When you’re ready to serve and eat, re-heat heat the California avocado tortillas on the same surface that the tuna was cooked on. The tortillas are best when served warm.
- On each tortilla, place one log of seared tuna in the center.
- Using a spoon, spread California Avocado Tzatziki sauce on the tuna.
- On top of each taco, place some of the marinated salad of red onions, cherry tomatoes and cucumbers.
- Garnish each taco with 3 each sprigs of dill, 3 leaves of mint and 2 slices of fresh California Avocado
California Avocado Tzatziki
- In a small bowl, mix all ingredients until combined thoroughly. Refrigerate.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with tortilla chips and California Avocado Tzatziki
Beverage Pairing: Compliment the seared seafood and Mediterranean flavors with a crisp refreshing white wine