Charro Pasta with Avocado
Vitamin A 2297 IU; Vitamin C 146 mg; Calcium 239 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 108 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.3 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 45%; Vitamin C 240%; Calcium 25%; Iron 10%
Ingredients1 large onion, diced 2 large red bell peppers, diced 1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil 1 garlic clove, chopped finely 1 tsp. finely chopped jalapeño pepper, or to taste 1/3 cup tequila (or substitute orange juice) 1 lb. tomatoes (preferably Roma), peeled, seeded and chopped 2/3 cup chopped cilantro 1 1/2 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano 1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste 1 dash freshly ground black pepper 12 oz. angel hair pasta 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and diced 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled 8 lime wedges
- Sauté onion and bell pepper in oil until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and jalapeño pepper; sauté until aromatic, about 2 minutes.
- Deglaze pan with tequila.
- Stir in tomato, cilantro, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Simmer, covered, until tomato releases juices, about 10 minutes; keep warm.
- Cook pasta in salted, boiling water until just tender; drain.
- Add to tomato mixture.
- Stir in cheese. Heat through and adjust seasonings, if necessary. Stir hot, drained pasta in tomato mixture; toss over medium-high heat. Serve with lime wedges.
Serve with warm garlic bread, if desired.
Try with a glass of Sangiovese wine.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados