These tasty vanilla flavor cupcakes use Fresh California Avocado instead of butter or shortening, resulting in a naturally light green cupcake with no artificial color and less saturated fat than a traditional cupcake recipe. They are perfect for holidays such as St. Patrick’s Day, Easter and Christmas when you want a green dessert. A simple cream cheese frosting tops them off.
Vanilla Avocado Cupcakes
|1/2||cup||pureed Fresh California Avocado|
|1 1/2||cups||all-purpose flour|
|1 1/2||tsp.||baking powder|
|1/2||cup||low fat buttermilk|
|Easy Cream Cheese Frosting (see recipe below)|
|Green sprinkles or other cake decorations, optional|
|Easy Cream Cheese Frosting|
|4||oz.||cream cheese, softened|
|1||Tbsp.||low fat milk or buttermilk, or more as needed|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin tins with foil or non-stick cups.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, combine avocado puree and sugar. Beat until very smooth and even in color.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes.
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a small bowl. Gradually blend in flour mixture alternating with buttermilk, starting and ending with the flour mixture.
- Divide batter among the prepared muffin cups. Bake for about 20 minutes. Cupcakes are done when a toothpick inserted into one of the center cupcakes comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool in the cupcake tins for 5 minutes, then remove to a rack and cool to room temperature. Frost with Easy Cream Cheese Frosting or one of the variations and decorate as desired.
Easy Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat softened cream cheese in a medium mixer bowl until light and creamy. There should be no lumps.
- Beat in milk then about ¾ of the powdered sugar. Taste and add more powdered sugar and/or milk depending on your preference for sweetness and spreadability.
Variations: For green frosting substitute some or all of the cream cheese with pureed California Avocado. Or try California Avocado Chocolate Frosting.
Beverage Pairing: Cold milk.
Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.