These tasty vanilla flavor cupcakes use Fresh California Avocado instead of butter or shortening, resulting in a naturally light green cupcake with no artificial color and less saturated fat than a traditional cupcake recipe. They are perfect for holidays such as St. Patrick’s Day, Easter and Christmas when you want a green dessert. A simple cream cheese frosting tops them off.
Vanilla Avocado Cupcakes
Total Time: 50 min
Prep Time: |
Ingredients1/2 cup pureed Fresh California Avocado 3/4 cup granulated sugar 2 large eggs 2 tsp. vanilla 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp. salt 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk Easy Cream Cheese Frosting (see recipe below) Green sprinkles or other cake decorations, optional Easy Cream Cheese Frosting 4 oz. cream cheese, softened 1 Tbsp. low fat milk or buttermilk, or more as needed 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin tins with foil or non-stick cups.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, combine avocado puree and sugar. Beat until very smooth and even in color.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes.
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a small bowl. Gradually blend in flour mixture alternating with buttermilk, starting and ending with the flour mixture.
- Divide batter among the prepared muffin cups. Bake for about 20 minutes. Cupcakes are done when a toothpick inserted into one of the center cupcakes comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool in the cupcake tins for 5 minutes, then remove to a rack and cool to room temperature. Frost with Easy Cream Cheese Frosting or one of the variations and decorate as desired.
Easy Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat softened cream cheese in a medium mixer bowl until light and creamy. There should be no lumps.
- Beat in milk then about ¾ of the powdered sugar. Taste and add more powdered sugar and/or milk depending on your preference for sweetness and spreadability.
Variations: For green frosting substitute some or all of the cream cheese with pureed California Avocado. Or try California Avocado Chocolate Frosting.
Beverage Pairing: Cold milk.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados