In Spanish-speaking countries, albondigas means meatballs. Typically, albondigas are something that your grandmother makes. This easy chicken avocado soup recipe brings together flavors from South America and the United States from cilantro to California Avocado. It is also packed with 32 g of protein and offers an excellent source of fiber, vitamin A, B2, B5, B6, B12, C, K and potassium.
Chicken Albondigas Soup
Total Time: 30 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 288 mcg; Vitamin C 28 mg; Calcium 68 mg; Iron 3 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 58 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.23 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 30%; Vitamin C 30%; Calcium 6%; Iron 15 % ; Vitamin D 0%
IngredientsFor the Meatballs 1 lb. ground chicken 3/4 cup cooked brown rice (1/4 cup dry) 1/4 cup diced red onion 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper 1/2 tsp. sea salt 1/4 tsp. black pepper For the Soup 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced 1/2 red onion, sliced 8 cups low sodium chicken broth 3 celery stalks, sliced 1 cup carrots, sliced 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped 1/2 tsp. sea salt, or to taste 1/2 tsp. black pepper 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded and sliced
- In a medium bowl, add the ground chicken, rice, onion, diced bell pepper, salt, and black pepper.
- Mix thoroughly and shape into eight 2¼-oz meatballs with a 2-inch diameter.
- In a medium-sized pot, pour in the chicken broth and bring to a boil on medium high heat.
- Add the chicken meatballs and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the sliced bell pepper, onion, celery, carrots, cilantro, salt and black pepper. Cook for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Serve soup with avocado on top.
Serving Suggestion: This soup goes well with a squeeze of lime.
Beverage Pairing: Herbal tea.
(Recipe from Flat Belly 365 by Manuel Villacorta, MS, RD for California Avocado Commission)
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Did You Know?
You can’t always tell if an avocado is ripe just by its color.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados