This hearty Mexican chicken soup comes together in just half an hour and is full of rich spices and the flavor of classic enchiladas verdes, plus crispy tortilla chips and creamy and cool California Avocados.
Chicken Enchilada Soup
Total Time: 35 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 33 mcg; Vitamin C 34 mg; Calcium 103 mg; Iron 4 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 111 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.18 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 40%; Calcium 8%; Iron 20 %; Vitamin D 0%
Ingredients2 Tbsp. olive oil 1 medium white onion, diced 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced 2 cloves garlic, minced 2 tsp. ground cumin 2 tsp. chili powder 1 tsp. salt 1 can (4-oz. each) green chiles 12 oz. green enchilada sauce 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken 1 can (14-oz. each) white beans, drained and rinsed 4 cups chicken broth 1 1/2 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and sliced Crumbled tortilla chips, to taste Crumbled cotija cheese, to taste Chopped cilantro, to taste
- In a large Dutch oven or stock pot, heat olive oil on medium heat.
- Add onion and bell pepper, cooking until onion is translucent and bell pepper is tender, about 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add in ground cumin, chili powder and salt, stirring the mixture together and cooking for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add green chiles, enchilada sauce, shredded chicken, white beans and chicken broth. Bring mixture to a simmer and then cook for an additional 15-20 minutes to marry the flavors together.
- Ladle into soup bowls. Top with fresh avocado slices, crumbled tortilla chips, cotija cheese and fresh cilantro.
- Serve and enjoy!
Serving Suggestion: Serve with some additional tortilla chips on the side.
Beverage Pairing: Pair with your favorite beer or a glass of water.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Did You Know?
You can’t always tell if an avocado is ripe just by its color.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados