Deeply smoky and flavorful, chicken tinga is a soulful dish and a great way to use leftover roast chicken. Our favorite way to top this spicy dish is with a light and fresh avocado radish slaw.
Chicken Tinga Tacos with Avocado Radish Slaw
|1/2||yellow onion, peeled and diced|
|1||(14-oz.) can no-salt added fire roasted tomatoes|
|2||chipotles in adobo (this makes a slightly spicy sauce, add more or less chipotle according to your taste)|
|2||cups||cooked shredded chicken (leftover roasted chicken works great for this)|
|16||(4-inch) corn tortillas|
|Avocado Radish Slaw (see recipe below)|
|1 1/2||Tbsp.||diced yellow onion|
|Avocado Radish Slaw|
|1||ripe, medium Fresh California Avocados|
|Heavy pinch salt|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- In a large saucepan sauté onions and garlic in olive oil over medium-low heat until onions are translucent. Add tomatoes, chipotle, cumin, salt, and pepper and continue cooking, stirring from time to time to prevent sticking. Cook until sauce has reduced by ⅓ to ½ – about 30 minutes.
- Cool sauce for a few minutes, then blend in a food processor or blender until completely smooth.
- Return sauce to pot and add chicken. Cook over medium-low keeping at a bare simmer for 15 minutes until chicken is warmed through and coated with sauce.
To assemble tacos, stack two warmed corn tortillas and top with chicken tinga, avocado radish slaw, onions, and cilantro.
Avocado Radish Slaw Instructions:
- In a blender, mix avocado, water, lime juice, cilantro, and salt. Blend until completely smooth and a bit frothy. The consistency should be like a thin mayonnaise.
- Mix radishes with avocado sauce and use to top chicken tinga tacos.
Serving Suggestion: Tacos go best with more tacos. Try shrimp, potato, and carne asada tacos.
Beverage Pairing: Lemon Agua Fresca or chilled water with lemon.
Calories 420; Total Fat 17 g (Sat 3 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 3 g, Mono 10 g); Cholesterol 60 mg; Sodium 540 mg; Potassium 690 mg; Total Carbohydrates 42 g; Dietary Fiber 10 g; Total Sugars 6 g; Protein 28 g; Vitamin A 1377 IU; Vitamin C 23 mg; Calcium 120 mg; Iron 2.5 mg; Vitamin D 4 IU; Folate 60 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.15 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 30%; Vitamin C 40%; Calcium 10%; Iron 15 %
Nutrition Per Serving (Avocado Radish Slaw only): Calories 70; Total Fat 6 g (Sat 1 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 0.5 g, Mono 3.5 g); Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 110 mg; Potassium 290 mg; Total Carbohydrates 5 g; Dietary Fiber 3 g; Total Sugars<1 g; Protein 1 g; Vitamin A 354 IU; Vitamin C 11 mg; Calcium 17 mg; Iron 0.4 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 45 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.06 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%; Vitamin C 20%; Calcium 0%; Iron 2 %