Chili Rubbed Salmon with Cilantro Avocado Salsa
Total Time: 8 min
Ingredients4 medium tomatillos, husked and rinsed 1/4 cup chopped green onion 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro 1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded and diced tsp. jalapeño, seeded and minced (or to taste) 1 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder 1/2 tsp. cumin 1 Tbsp. brown sugar 1 tsp. kosher salt 4 (6-oz) wild Copper River salmon fillets
- Place tomatillos in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Remove tomatillos and when cool enough to handle, roughly chop them.
- Combine the tomatillos, onion, cilantro and lime juice. Gently fold in the avocado and add jalapeño. Season with salt to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine chili powder, cumin, sugar and salt. Sprinkle fish with spice mix.
- Heat a large oven-proof nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Cook the salmon rub side down for 2 minutes then flip and place pan in the oven for about 5-6 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer fish fillets to plates and top with the Cilantro Avocado Salsa.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados