The classic cheeseburger is even more delicious with Fresh California Avocado slices and caramelized onions. This grilled avocado burger recipe calls for American or Cheddar cheese, and you can also change it up with Swiss, mozzarella or another favorite.
The Classic California Cheeseburger With Caramelized Onions
Total Time: 1 h 10 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 103 mcg; Vitamin C 7 mg; Calcium 308 mg; Iron 4 mg; Vitamin D 1 mcg; Folate 66 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.24 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 8%; Calcium 25%; Iron 20 %; Vitamin D 6%
Ingredients1 small white onion, peeled and thinly sliced 1/4 tsp. seasoned salt 1 Tbsp. butter, cut in small cubes 1 lb. ground beef (80% lean) 1/2 tsp. salt 1/8 tsp. ground pepper 4 (1-oz.) slices American or Cheddar cheese 4 sesame seed-topped burger buns, or your favorite buns/bread 4 medium iceberg or romaine lettuce leaves 1/4 cup mayonnaise or mustard, optional 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and sliced
- Preheat grill to medium or oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut a rectangle of heavy-duty foil, or two layers of regular foil into about a 10-inch square. Places onion slices in the center of the foil square. Toss with seasoned salt and dot with the butter cubes. Bring the edges together and crimp into a package, leaving a small opening for steam to escape. Place on the grill or on a tray in the oven and cook for about 50 minutes, shaking the package occasionally to stir the onions. After removing the package from the heat, open carefully to allow the steam to escape. (May also caramelize the onions in a skillet on the stovetop.)
- Meanwhile, when about 10 minutes remain on the onions’ cook time, season the beef patties with salt and pepper and place on the grill grates. Cook about 3 to 5 minutes per side and top with cheese slices in the last couple of minutes, just until the cheese melts and the burgers reach 145 degrees F. Remove from grill and let rest.
- Lightly grill or toast buns if desired.
- Spread bottom buns with mayonnaise or mustard if using, add the burgers and melted cheese, then top with lettuce, caramelized onions, avocado slices and the top bun. Serve immediately.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with grilled veggies and fresh fruit.
Beverage Pairing: Ice cold beer or water.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados