Chicken Italian sausage wrapped in bacon and grilled. Served with Spicy BBQ sauce, hot Fresno chiles and onions, cooled with creamy Fresh California Avocados on a whole wheat bun. Enjoy this Sandwich all the more knowing that you are getting 35% of the Recommended Daily Value (DV). Vitamin C is an antioxidant that is necessary for normal growth, development and repair of tissues in all parts of the body.
Sizzling Sausage, Bacon and Avocado Sandwich
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|4||(5-oz.) raw Chicken Italian Sausages|
|8||toothpicks soaked in water|
|As needed||Spicy BBQ sauce (see recipe below)|
|1 1/4||cups||sweet white onion, thin julienne cut|
|2||Fresno chiles, seeded, thin julienne cut|
|4||whole wheat hot dog buns|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, cut into 12 slices|
|Spicy BBQ Sauce|
|1/8||cup||orange juice concentrate|
|3/4||tsp.||ground cayenne pepper|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Wrap each sausage with a slice of bacon and secure each end with a water-soaked toothpick. Grill over medium heat away from direct flame for 30 to 40 minutes, until done, turning several times to ensure even browning of the bacon.
- Mix together the BBQ sauce, orange juice concentrate and cayenne pepper, set aside.
- Just before the sausage is done sauté the Fresno chiles and onions in vegetable oil until slightly limp.
- Toast the whole wheat buns and spread 2 Tbsp. of BBQ sauce on each one.
- Top each bun with a roasted bacon wrapped sausage (toothpicks removed), grilled chiles and onions then three slices of Fresh California Avocado.
Oven Preparation: The sausages also may be roasted at 400 degrees F for 30 – 40 minutes, until done, turning two times to assure even browning of the bacon.
Serving suggestion: Like it even hotter? Add whole Fresno chiles to the roasting pan during the last half of the cooking and enjoy them whole, with or without seeds. Serve with whole wheat honey pretzels and prepare extra spicy BBQ sauce for dipping.
Beverage Pairings: Cool the heat with orange juice mixed with sparkling water or an icy cold beer.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 224 (IU); Vitamin C 22 mg; Calcium 94 mg; Iron 3 mg; Vitamin D 3 (IU); Folate 44 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.08 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 35%; Calcium 10%; Iron 15%