Crab Cocktail With California Avocado-Wasabi Mousse
Ingredients1 lb. and 2ounces crab meat 2 Tbsp. thinly sliced chive 2 Tbsp. rice vinegar As needed California Avocado-Wasabi Mousse (recipe follows) 1 1/2 cups purchased salsa fresca As needed Cilantro sprigs, as needed for garnish (optional) 12 purchased taro chips (optional) As needed Green onion cut in 2-inch lengths, as needed for garnish 1 California avocado, diced, for garnish
- Just before serving, combine crab, chive, and vinegar; reserve.
- Scoop 1/4 cup California Avocado-Wasabi Mousse into each of 6 martini glasses or other stemmed glassware.
- Top each with 1/4 cup salsa fresca.
- Scoop 1/4 cup reserved crab mixture on top of salsa in each glass.
- Garnish each serving with 2 sprigs cilantro, 2 taro chips, several green onion pieces, and several avocado cubes.
- California Avocado-Wasabi Mousse
- Just before serving, puree until smooth 3 California avocados, roughly diced, 1/2 tablespoon (or to taste) wasabi paste*, 1/2 tablespoon (or to taste) hot pepper sauce, and 1/2 teaspoon (or to taste) salt; reserve.
- Whip 1/3 cup heavy cream; fold into reserved avocado mixture.
- *Wasabi paste, often called “Japanese horseradish,” can be purchased in ethnic or specialty foods shops and in the Asian section of many supermarkets.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados